• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Central States inventory

65 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2023 at 10:12 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

What DOES a table go for there ?  Do you get a discount if you stay 3-4 days instead of 1 or 2 ?

Tables are for all 5 days or 1 for a tiny minority of tables. The cheap tables are $1200ish. When you do a summer ANA show, you are making a 5 day commitment. No discounts for leaving early. Many dealers do SIX days by adding the pre-show day. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/19/2023 at 5:25 PM, World Colonial said:

I bought one coin at the 2020 ANA in ATL for about $700.  That's the most I've spent at any show.  Usually, it's about $300 but it's low-priced coins for my secondary collections.  2020 ANA was the first time I ever saw anything at a show in my primary I wanted to buy.

Your posts indicate you buy "investment" coinage which differs from me. If I bought what you do, I'd have a somewhat different philosophy.

Since I buy "collector" coins, I don't "save up" and almost never dip into my savings.  Once I save money, it stays there.  I've dipped into savings a few times recently to avoid missing out on coins I really wanted, but otherwise, I pay myself first and only use what's left over.  This means I have to meet my savings target for the year.  I may not meet it, but it's not going to be because I went on a coin buying "binge". 

I also don't buy "big ticket" coins either.  I may do that after I retire when I don't have to work for the money, but I'm not about to forgo saving for months to buy a coin. 

A spring ANA, such as ATL 2020, is a weak imitation of the August ANA show. It’s like comparing a nice Chevy truck to a Lamborghini, ESPECIALLY regarding world coins. Summer ANA is exceeded only by NYINC in world coins, but not by leaps and bounds. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/20/2023 at 7:25 PM, VKurtB said:

A spring ANA, such as ATL 2020, is a weak imitation of the August ANA show. It’s like comparing a nice Chevy truck to a Lamborghini, ESPECIALLY regarding world coins. Summer ANA is exceeded only by NYINC in world coins, but not by leaps and bounds. 

Yes, unfortunately.  I haven't been to the World's Fair of Money in a long time.  It's never in a convenient location.

On 5/21/2023 at 4:44 PM, World Colonial said:

Yes, unfortunately.  I haven't been to the World's Fair of Money in a long time.  It's never in a convenient location.

I understand that. But. I go anyway, WHEREVER it is.

I went to the World's Fair of Money last year here in Chicago and I described it as CSNS on steroids. I would say if there was ANYTHING specific that you were looking for to complete a set it was there somewhere. I also found several dealers willing to engage in reasonable bartering and deal making which helped me to complete my mission there reasonably quickly. I will definitely go again.