• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading service between Grading Service between Economy and Express
1 1

11 posts in this topic

In my humble opinion, there is too great a disparity between the economy maximum dollar value and the express maximum dollar value gradeing serviced. 
I like I am sure many collectors have coins in excess of $300 but less than $3000. 
The $17 difference between the two services is quite drastic given the overall pricing. 
I would like to recommend a “Regular” service fee. 
A maximum value of $1500 and a cost of $30 each coin. 
and a turn-around time approximately halfway in-between Economy and Express. 
NGC just seems to be lacking a common mid ground service !

thank you for any consideration  

John Scott Jaburg

Over the years NGC has repeatedly raised the grading fee for the various tiers, which may be justifiable due to inflation, but has kept the tier coin values fixed even though the same inflation affects coin prices. This results in many coins that used to be eligible for one tier now having to be submitted at the next higher tier at a substantially higher grading fee.  While @johnScott6442's proposal has some merit, it would be simpler if NGC would raise the upper coin value limit of the "Economy" tier to at least $500 and the upper limit of the "Standard" tier to at least $5,000.  

A related issue is NGC's requiring of the payment of the now $18 "VarietyPlus" fee to attribute naked eye, well known "Redbook" varieties of earlier U.S. coins instead of just identifying the coin by date and any mintmark. It is my understanding that PCGS does not charge an attribution fee for many of these varieties.

@powermad5000--No. The 1955 "Bugs Bunny" clashed die variety half dollar isn't what I meant by an "earlier U.S. coin" and isn't listed in the standard "Redbook". To cite one of probably hundreds of examples, the standard "Redbook" lists 1803 large cents as follows:

1803, Small Date, Small Fraction

1803, Small Date, Large Fraction

1803, Large Date, Small Fraction

1803 Large Date, Large Fraction

1803, 1/100 over 1/000

1803, Stemless Wreath

All of these varieties, some of which comprise multiple Sheldon die varieties, are readily discernible to the naked eye and by a glance at the photos in the "Redbook". Although NGC will attribute the last two varieties without the payment of an attribution fee, one must pay the $18 attribution fee to obtain an attribution for any of the first four, which must also include the exact Sheldon die variety. Otherwise, an 1803 large cent with any of the large or small date and fraction combinations will be simplistically labeled as just an "1803".  To see which varieties require payment of the fee, see the "VarietyPlus" listings under the "Resources" tab on the NGC home page.

@Sandon I forgot about those. I agree. Those are some I look for in the slabs to see if they are "generically" labeled and if the seller did not catch on as they have different values.

(Entirely tongue in cheek.) Since the other major grading service is headquartered in California, will they soon be charging according to how high your income or assets are, rather than the service you are getting? It seems to be the way the “left coast” rolls these days.

On 5/3/2023 at 11:48 AM, VKurtB said:

(Entirely tongue in cheek.) Since the other major grading service is headquartered in California, will they soon be charging according to how high your income or assets are, rather than the service you are getting? It seems to be the way the “left coast” rolls these days.

For CA residents only (they are used to that) submit prior year tax return with coin submissions and then grading fees TBD.  :roflmao: