• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Coin Found In My Inventory
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Really nice.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Flappy Bird

On 4/27/2023 at 11:08 AM, Errorists said:

Found this 1997P dime spectacular specimen about 50% off center with a nice bonus die crack on the chin. Field and devices look very high grade MS-69 or 70?

There isn't a single FDR dime in 69 or 70, at least with this date or prior, not at NGC or PCGS.

I believe errors of this kind must be held to a different standard.  To begin with the silhouettes of the coin, obverse and reverse sides, to not match. Since when do we examine "coins" lacking essential elements? Any reeding and edges are gone. Devices and legends are missing. And yet we expect a less-than-perfect decapitation to be to be graded whilst lacking the most basic elements. Specifications? There aren't any.  This is an "error," to which standard grading criteria should not apply.  If the OP wishes to keep it, fine. If he wishes to sell it, market demand will determine its FMV.

On 4/30/2023 at 1:03 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I believe errors of this kind must be held to a different standard.  To begin with the silhouettes of the coin, obverse and reverse sides, to not match. Since when do we examine "coins" lacking essential elements? Any reeding and edges are gone. Devices and legends are missing. And yet we expect a less-than-perfect decapitation to be to be graded whilst lacking the most basic elements. Specifications? There aren't any.  This is an "error," to which standard grading criteria should not apply.  If the OP wishes to keep it, fine. If he wishes to sell it, market demand will determine its FMV.

Typically the field and devices are graded since that's all there is to grade with such fine specimens. 

On 4/30/2023 at 1:59 PM, Errorists said:

Typically the field and devices are graded since that's all there is to grade with such fine specimens. 

I love your error coins I agree they are very clean but what I think it is with the third party graders  MS grade 69 and 70 are reserved for a perfect coin and in Jefferson's and Roosevelt's it is a rarity. I think with a error coin you may see a 65 or 66 but anything higher would be a great achievement.  

On 4/30/2023 at 5:37 PM, J P M said:

I love your error coins I agree they are very clean but what I think it is with the third party graders  MS grade 69 and 70 are reserved for a perfect coin and in Jefferson's and Roosevelt's it is a rarity. I think with a error coin you may see a 65 or 66 but anything higher would be a great achievement.  

Thanks, I picked them for what could be a higher grade.