• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible error on a 1958 D Lincoln penny

4 posts in this topic

I came across a 1958 D Lincoln penny with the "D" printed crooked. The D is slightly rotated counter clockwise. I couldn't find any references but was curious if this is an error coin.

20230424_092219-1.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.

Not an error, up until 1989, the mint marks were hand punched into the striking die so anywhere below the date

and to the right of the coat is acceptable. Every coin struck from that die would be the same until it was retired.

z mint mark punch worker (3).jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  In the future, please crop your photos and show both sides of the coin.

Until the early 1990s mint marks were hand punched separately into each coinage die while the dies were being made at the Philadelphia mint, resulting in mint marks being punched in varying positions and angles.  A mint mark that leans slightly to one side isn't unusual, isn't considered a mint error, and commands no premium. As an Extremely Fine or so 1958-D Lincoln cent, your coin is worth only a few cents. 

You might benefit from reviewing these topics:

I do have one of the same date and mintmark cents as the one you possess somewhere in a coin tube in one of my safes. I could only imagine it was made from the same set of dies. It is not an error, nor is it even considered a variety. If your coin was a high grade red example, it would be worth something on its details, color, and excellent condition, but the mintmark position would not add any value on top of it being a nice coin.