• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penny for your thoughts...
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Going through 15 lbs of old pennies and first sorting by decade, color, etc. My grandfather was an avid collector and I'm trying to go through looking for errors and nice ones that would be worth having graded. At some point once I go through these and other denominations and then sell them to help pay for some wheelchair home modifications needed here. These are all I found from the 40s and earlier. I'll try to get the 50s up tonight too. It takes a while lol I'm filling a baseball cap piecemeal sliding on scanner and organizing using a stick in a hand brace with a rubber page turning thing. Takes forever. That 1925 DD is nice. Maybe there will be something in here nobody has seen. That'd be cool. Any advice or tips would be great. I'm enjoying the hobby myself now looking out mostly for quarters. Lot easier to flip on the scanner glass. FYI I don't really drink, maybe twice a year on holidays.

1940s Earlier Wheatbacks copy.jpg

50sPennies copy.jpg

1960s and 1 1944.jpg

Edited by 2 Drunks
Posted 3rd Photo of 60s

Welcome to the hobby and forum!

In the absence of very high grades with red in color, there are only a handful of Lincoln wheat particulars to look for. Look for a 1909 S VDB, 1914 D,1922 NO D, 1931 S, and a 1955 DOUBLED DIE OBVERSE. The others would be album fillers. There are people who sell Lincoln Wheat cents by the pound or in bags of 5,000 so if the grades on common wheats are not high, they are not worth much.

If you are starting to get into collecting, get a Red Book or at least a current price guide book, but the Red Book is preferred as it lists weights, and I also recommend ANA Grading Standards book (Volume 6 can still be found cheaply on eBay for someone just starting out and the information is still viable). You can also refer to the price guides and coin explorer on here.

Good luck on the search!

I think that @powermad5000 was referring to the sixth edition (not Volume 6) of the ANA Grading Guide, which is only one volume. The current edition is the seventh, published in 2013.  This and other essential print and online resources for new collectors and where to obtain them are described in the following topics:

On 4/23/2023 at 11:53 AM, Sandon said:

I think that @powermad5000 was referring to the sixth edition (not Volume 6) of the ANA Grading Guide

Correct. It was very late last night when I made that post so my mind was turning to mush at that point. I used the wrong word.

These all appear to be post-1982 copper plated zinc cents and are all likely worth only their face value of one cent each. The ones that are entirely mint "red' without stains, fingerprints or spots might be worth saving in hard plastic coin tubes or other inert holders or containers, but the others may as well be spent. There's a very slight chance that you have a marketable variety such as a 1984 or 1995 "Redbook" variety doubled die, but we can't tell without cropped, clear photos of the individual coins. This is another reason why, if you want to collect coins, you need to obtain and study the "Redbook", a grading guide, and other necessary resources so that you can evaluate them yourself.