• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 D cent Possible DDO on face eye and chest

22 posts in this topic

It's not a DD.

The fact that I say that--even without pictures--confident that I'm 99.9% likely to be correct, should tell you something of value as well.

On 4/22/2023 at 10:52 AM, damiencotton23 said:

Alright thank you. Wasn't sure. And I woulda posted a pic but apparently it just keeps saying photo is to big every time I tried to post. 

You probably did not crop it using an image editor; that might have solved it. When you crop a photo and save it as a jpg, it goes on a serious size diet in most cases. I've pulled a lot of images of baseball cards over the years and they start out gigantic but end up manageable by the time I save them after making any edit at all (cropping counts). Not sure why it is, just is. If cropping it doesn't shrink the file size, then the next step is to reduce it maintaining proportions. That almost has to shrink it.

None of those are the whole coin, so they can't help. Both sides, clean and sharp, properly oriented and cropped. When we have those, we can confirm for you that it's something other than a doubled die.

This doubled profile appears to me to be the result of strike doubling, a.k.a. machine doubling from the obverse die being loose in the press. The images are "shelf-like" or on different levels, not crisp and about on the same level as in a doubled die. Compare the "Redbook" variety 1984 "doubled ear", which resulted from a doubled die:

1984DDcentobv..jpg.2740a2f42ed9492648cb106c74851bcd.jpg

There is no hub doubled die image on the coin you posted to say it is anything other than mechanical doubling. A well known cent close to the date of yours which I have included an image of from NGC Variety Plus shows what a DDO should look like.

12950-1.jpg

The attached may help differentiate between a doubled die and common machine doubling aka strike doubling

Errors - Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Thanks. While it might not seem germane when the obverse is at issue, we can really give much better opinions when we see the whole piece. These photos are workable for the purpose here, and well cropped, so good job there.

Yeah I know it's machine doubling. I was just saying it wasn't the type of machine doubling that was in the picture you had sent. Like the article said ."This effect will be different on all coins struck" but thank you for sending it. I did a lot of studying and talked to coin groups I'm in before coming here so I had probably seen it about 15 times before I came here lol

Another resource that can be utilized are published lists of known doubled die coins.  When the doubled elements are a result of the dies having that doubling there are considerably more than just one of those coins being struck and entering circulation, which over time error collectors have identified and cataloged.

For Memorial Cent doubled dies see the following webpages for lists of these.  Note that the LMC you have with the doubling of the face is not on those lists of DDO's, so that's another indicator that it's a one-off machine doubling.

http://doubleddie.com/300201.html

http://varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/DDO listing.htm

On 4/23/2023 at 12:21 AM, damiencotton23 said:

Yeah I know it's machine doubling.

Agreed.  I was just commenting on using the term "bounce doubling", as MD is the more widely accepted term.

On 4/22/2023 at 7:51 PM, damiencotton23 said:

The doubling on this one is the same height as the face.

From the pictures there appears to be a pretty well defined shelf, with the doubled face outline appearing to be lower.  Note that it may not have a well defined slope as shown in the infographic I posted, as that is just a graphic representation.