• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reholder & Regrading

7 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hello @Gileshokie, thank you for contacting us. No, the grade assigned to the coin shouldn't change, unless any damage occurred post-encapsulation, in which case the grade will be adjusted accordingly. To qualify, the coin must still be encapsulated in its original NGC holder. If you are looking for the coin to receive a higher grade, you would need to send it in for a regrade service (in which it would then receive a new certificate number).

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

On 4/28/2023 at 7:10 PM, Gileshokie said:

So if the coin is sent in to be regrade in it's original holder it can not receive a lower grade, correct?

No that is not correct, it can be down graded, in that instance the NGC Guarantee would come into play.   Here is the full explanation of regrade that is available on the NGC website.

image.png.175fc137c4e2a1e4f5b889ca04e2446a.png

good evening, I recently sent coins in old slab format for reholdering,unfortunately these coins were not previously imaged by ngc .

doesn't ngc at least double check a coins authenticity before cracking them out OF OLD HOLDERS by reviewing the image ,after receiving these coins back in Namibia, I re-entered the coins on my Ngc registry ,and to my surprise there is still no image available. The disappointment was profound, doesn't  Ngc at least photograph coins that are in old slabs .You just don't understand the immense effort it takes to submit coins from Africa to the USA via Germany! it takes at least three to four months for this process to be completed ,not to mention the EXPENCE and RISK as there is no insurance , and not to mention the favours you have to ask people to submit the coins in Germany, as FEDEX don't accept numismatic items for shipment from Africa. Sorry I feel let down. Namibia is in a nother world ,not just in a nother State.

On 6/2/2023 at 5:05 PM, jimmy 1421 said:

good evening, I recently sent coins in old slab format for reholdering,unfortunately these coins were not previously imaged by ngc .

doesn't ngc at least double check a coins authenticity before cracking them out OF OLD HOLDERS by reviewing the image ,after receiving these coins back in Namibia, I re-entered the coins on my Ngc registry ,and to my surprise there is still no image available. The disappointment was profound, doesn't  Ngc at least photograph coins that are in old slabs .You just don't understand the immense effort it takes to submit coins from Africa to the USA via Germany! it takes at least three to four months for this process to be completed ,not to mention the EXPENCE and RISK as there is no insurance , and not to mention the favours you have to ask people to submit the coins in Germany, as FEDEX don't accept numismatic items for shipment from Africa. Sorry I feel let down. Namibia is in a nother world ,not just in a nother State.

If what you say is true, I'm surprised that NGC did not take a photo of the coin prior to reholdering. If the reason for having your coins reholdered was to verify they were authentic due to a lack of an image on the NGC website, then you should be happy that they did reholder them, as, I believe, they would have been inspected and not encapsulated in a new holder if bogus. 

On 6/2/2023 at 5:05 PM, jimmy 1421 said:

You should start a new thread and post this question, NGC may not respond to it if it's buried in an old thread.