• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mercurial Musings. . . (1of2). . .
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi All, found two Mercury dimes of interest.  The first is a 1940-D which looks  to be a: 1940-D/D VP-003.  I hope the more experienced crowd sees the same thing I do!  Thanks in advance!

NCG Varieties Plus:

1940 D/D VP-003 10C MS

NGC Attribution: VP-003
Cross Reference: CONECA: RPM-001

pA.40d-O.jpg

pA.40d-R.jpg

pA.40d-R2.jpg

This is pretty clearly a repunched mintmark and is similar to the VP-003, but I'm not sure it is that exact variety.  Based on the NGC VarietyPlus photo of the 1940-D VP-003 below, the initial (lighter) image on your coin looks a little farther from the bottom leaf. On the VP-001 the lighter image touches the leaf, and on the VP-002 the lighter image is punched below (south of) the heavier one. Perhaps your coin is a new variety.

819732-1.jpg

Wow, I didn't realize the specificity of the placement of the mint mark.  I ran across a few that were nearly touching the axe.  I am just happy with seeing what I think I see and it turning out to be close to accurate.  thanks Sandon, I really appreciate the help!