• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Regarding Roosevelt. . . (3of4). . .
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello All,  I ran thru some Roseys and found a couple of hopefuls.  This may be a stretch on my part, but I see a small bump right up against the lower part of the torch just below the bottom bands.  I would like to get more experienced opinions on whether this coin would be considered a (1964 D/D Blunt 9 FS-502 10c MS).  I will be posting more coins individually.  Thanks in advance.

Found in: Varieties Plus:

1964 D/D BLUNT 9 FS-502 10C MS

NGC Attribution: FS-502
Cross Reference: CONECA: RPM-006  /  Fivaz-Stanton (OLD): FS-018.7  /  VarietyPlus: VP-004

pD.64d-O.jpg

pD.64d-R.jpg

pD.64d-R2.jpg

I'm not sure about this one. Your coin doesn't match either the VarietyPlus or Cherrypickers' Guide (4th edition) photos, which don't seem to match each other. (The VarietyPlus photo doesn't look much like a repunched mintmark either.) What you see may just be a tiny die chip or clash mark. Any other opinions?

Yeah, this one was weird.  I understood the reference information to be that the first mint mark was obliterated and a new one was put in the correct spot.  The remnants referred to in the reference is a little dot right up against the torch, similar to my coin.  I could not find any additional info online.  No clue from me just a shot in the dark. . . I  guess the target is sneaking away from me. . .

On 4/21/2023 at 5:17 PM, cobymordet said:

first mint mark was obliterated and a new one was put in the correct spot.  The remnants referred to in the reference is a little dot right up against the torch

Attached is a 1964-D 10C MPM FS-502 graded MS65 from PCGS CoinFacts (https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1964-d-10c-mpm-fs-502/145599) and NGC VarietyPlus.  Both of these, as well as others from CoinFacts, seem to just have the small raised area next to the torch, which is consistent with the op's coin.

So I think it's a match.

28433764_39870357_2200.jpg

10c 1964D FS-502-816811-1656679374.jpg

Here is the photo and description of this variety from the Fourth Edition Cherrypickers' Guide (2006):

scan0005.thumb.jpg.03f639dc8316c287ca0bd14b648115d4.jpg

As you can see, this photo shows a much greater portion of something that looks a lot more like a portion of a "D" mintmark than either the VarietyPlus photo or @cobymordet's coin.  This could well be a later die state of the same variety, but I am not convinced that it is. I'm somewhat skeptical that any of these coins represents a true repunched mintmark. It's a question that can never be definitively answered. 

One of the markers for that variety is a raised dot under the first "U" in "PLURIBUS." The OP's coin appears to have this dot.

Looks like a late die stage RPM-006/FS-502.