• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2013 Nevada Great Basin

6 posts in this topic

I apologize for not already knowing, I'm new to collecting- but I found a 2013 Nevada Great Basin quarter and it seems to possibly have an error only on "Nevada" and slightly on the 2 in "2013". I didn't know if this was common or could be an error, because I couldn't find anything about it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

20230419_192042.jpg

20230419_192048.jpg

20230420_111310.jpg

20230420_111335.jpg

Edited by Highopes

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please post cropped, focused photos of the entire obverse and reverse of the coin so that we might make a better evaluation of your coin.

Usually, when a new collector claims to have found a coin with "doubling" or other multiple images, it is a coin struck from worn dies or one with shelf-like "strike doubling" from a die that was loose in the press, neither of which is of much interest or value to collectors. Your coin looks like it might be a doubled die, where the doubling was in the die itself, which would potentially have some value.  I'd like to have the photos of the entire coin and the opinions of other members of this forum before reaching any conclusion in this regard.

On 4/20/2023 at 11:08 AM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please post cropped, focused photos of the entire obverse and reverse of the coin so that we might make a better evaluation of your coin.

Thank you! I've added the photos of the obverse and reverse, hopefully that helps!

Welcome to the Forum
Not a Doubled Die, that is Machine Doubling.  
I read on another site that about 70% of the coins in that series have some sort
of Machine Doubling so it may be harder to find one without it.

I don't see any doubling as would be produced by the hub, so I am going to say this is some sort of mechanical doubling. I don't think there was even but a handful of recognized varieties for the entire series and the only true doubled one that I know of is the Duke Ellington District of Columbia on the reverse where there is clear doubling visible I think on his hand and name and the piano. There are a lot of the quarters in this series that were over magnified and/or YouTube hyped because somebody found an imperfection in one of them. One of the big ones was the West Virginia Harpers Ferry reverse where somebody supposedly found an extra window (or maybe it was a doorway) on the reverse. Most likely it was a minor imperfection and well within mint tolerance, but some YouTube star made it explode yet it has never been widely recognized or designated by the collector community.

The attached may help in differentiating between coins with common die deterioration doubling or machine doubling (aka "shelf doubling") and coins with true die or hub doubling.

Note that it is very unlikely that modern coins have true die or hub doubling since in the mid to late 1990's the US mint switched to a single squeeze process to produce master dies.  This significantly limits true doubling of the dies to something shifting during this process.

https://doubleddie.com/58222.html

Errors - Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO