• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959D obverse wheat stalk Error

13 posts in this topic

I’ve had this coin for nearly 60 years now an I guess it’s time to ask about it l know 1959 was the transitional year from wheat back to memorial back cents an also the Mule Cent . The photos I’m posting seem far fetched but this is not a stain or what ever you may believe but you can see a feel with your finger nail every little groove in wheat stalksF24DD1E9-740D-4A4F-B43D-38694C5EDDE0.thumb.jpeg.40a26ca4189b30c93089406c4fa2d4e8.jpeg334FC571-F4C4-450C-8E2C-A21A5E77E864.thumb.jpeg.a88c72e38fc637156bdc3f465ccb75cd.jpeg

AF92962F-A174-4B88-8BEA-3EF91020970D.thumb.jpeg.0a39c99442dde7c963b88cbaf0a21bca.jpegTNo I haven’t posted this coin an I will gladly post the reverse which is a memorial back and it isn’t a stain as you refer it as I have wash coin serveral times same result Otis form from pressure an with coin under a scope layed side by side with a wheat back you see the same image. This is no hoax or faking anything it’s been in one of my coin jugs for 60 years . I’m not trying to be rude or obnoxious  I thought I was only showing an error that may never been seen before374873AC-CE7F-4E0B-9B89-4B25395E3DD9.thumb.jpeg.9253fb014ce1056e0020c6b4e5d76a77.jpeg

E69E9252-D9D2-4994-95D8-7FC0BD11979F.jpeg

This is the same obv that you posted in Jan that @Sandon linked, but here you have a different rev.   I don't know if the rev you showed in Jan or this one is the correct one, but I can tell you that there are no wheat stalks on that obv.   The obv looks like a stain, however you say that it is not and that there are some ridges or depressions.   It may have been a lamination that fell off prior to being struck, but it is in no way a mule.   If it were determined and authenticated as a lamination error it would have some value, but you would need to send it into NGC for grading and authentication by submitting it as a mint error.

A "transitional year" is commonly described as occurring when two different designs are issued in the same calendar year -- such as 1909 for the Indian (Liberty) and Lincoln cents. 1959 was not such a year.

The posted coin is damaged and stained. Nothing of any value.

I was not implying that it was a mule l was just referring to mule error due to this coin being a 1959. Also the coin in hand is so much better that the photo for what ever it may be as such as a lamination but it is formed no a stain nor carbon defect in copper. It’s some type of mint error 

It really appears from the pictures to be some foreign substance that hardened on the coin.  I would suggest studying up on the minting process, see if you can find any way what you see could have happened during minting. If you are still convinced, then send it in to NGC.

On 4/16/2023 at 11:22 PM, N H Ourso said:

I have wash coin serveral times same result

Well it looks like glue or something stuck to the surface and washing the coin only makes things worst. Now it is a cleaned dirty coin.

On 4/16/2023 at 9:00 PM, N H Ourso said:

l know 1959 was the transitional year from wheat back to memorial back cents

As RWB noted that would not be a "transitional year", and I think you meant to imply that somehow your coin may be a "transitional error" as the mint changed (or "transitioned") from the wheat cent reverse in 1958 to the memorial cent reverse in 1959.

However, there is no shot whatsoever that that your 1959 cent with a correct memorial reverse somehow ended up with a strike on the obverse of just a wheat stalk from the 1958 reverse design.  Also, the area in question doesn't look anything like wheat stalks.

On 4/16/2023 at 11:44 PM, N H Ourso said:

It’s some type of mint error 

No, actually it is NOT a Mint error. It's a perfectly normal damaged 1959-D cent, nothing more nor less.

Edited by VKurtB

Yep a badly stained coin environmental damage is what the grading company would probably call it … however there is a story about 1959-D Lincoln cent “mule” is what we call it… This is a rare occasion only 1 exist that should never have existed anyways … But however I don’t consider is genuine in my terms it was counterfeit by mint worker deliberately  or by someone else no documentations on it anywhere in the mint ? I heard wacky stories about it once but not sure if I believe it or not  

but a slim slim well Loooong shot chance you even have anything close to that it’s more rarer than 1943 copper cent or 1974-D specimen aluminum cent 

On 4/18/2023 at 10:51 AM, Jason Abshier said:

but a slim slim well Loooong shot chance you even have anything close to that it’s more rarer than 1943 copper cent or 1974-D specimen aluminum cent 

Jason, there is actually no shot whatsoever that the op has a "mule" (see attached).  Well, maybe in the stable behind the barn if they live on a farm.  :insane:

Kidding aside, the op's coin has a matching obverse and reverse (therefore not a mule), and possibly just a vice job strange impression or damage.  So them having anything remotely close to the controversial 1959-D Lincoln Cent Mule (see attached) is an impossibility.  In fact it appears to just be damage, regardless if its an impression or dried adhesive of some kind.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/the-mystery-of-the-1959-d-mule-lincoln-cent

img-coin10 (1).jpg

1959-D Cent Mule.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO