• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay 1932-D Quarter listing

9 posts in this topic

It's #304462675388.  I tried to past the link but cannot.  Seller has 35 "BU" 1932-d quarters having sold 34.  Don't know anything about the seller but nothing unusual about the listing that I can see.

I know this coin isn't scarce in high grade, but 35 at once seems unusual.

As I commented on an unrelated recent thread the term BU can mean any one of five things:

BU:  [MS] 60-62;  Choice BU:  63-64;  Select BU:  64;  Gem BU:  65;  Superb BU:  66, or even 67, "best of the best."

MINT STATE is defined in at least specific six specific countries:  FRANCE, USA, ENGLAND, GERMANY, ITALY and SPAIN.  No such subdivisions are made for BU in the first four countries cited above.  None are used by the latter two. 

I suspect, if the buyer were given a choice and time, he would want an opportunity to view all individually.  I would be willing to bet the six that were previously sold were very likely "the best of the best", 

The stock photo they use looks "off" to me, a big firm that offers a return option so that is a bonus.   My guess is that many/most of the buyers of this item have no clue how to grade and cannot detect if the coin has been bonked or not, thus the glowing feedback.

Seller has 117 negative feedbacks, mostly for polished coins.
Told one buyer who complained about grade that grading is subjective. 
Good seller to stay away from

Edited by Greenstang

I agree it is a stock photo and can't speak to the actual quality.  I didn't look at the feedback either, though I should have stated that I assumed the seller had a reason for not selling these in a TPG holder since that's how I've normally seen these sold.

What struck me is, "details" or not, 35 with limited to no circulation offered at once.  Though I consider this coin quite common and the TPG counts aren't low in MS, I'd expect it to be more difficult to find a mini hoard like this one.

Edited by World Colonial

There’s a few other 1935-D in graded holders AU and AU+ going for $630-$750 … no way in the world would I throw money on this seller’s raw 1935-D for $750 and with 98% feedback,  If it were so great why is it not in a PCGS or NGC holder ? To sell for more $$$ ?