• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coins I like an opinion on

14 posts in this topic

I recently got into the coin collecting and have found a few coins I would like to hear people's opinions on. The nickel is in remarkable shape and has a luster I've not seen on a coin that old. There are 3 1980 D pennies and the mint mark was punched very low on one of them. The 1985 dime is stuck very nice but part of the 5 is missing and on the back it's like there was something that obstructed the strike if you are able to see it. Then I've got 2 1982 copper pennies and wondered if they need to be from Denver to be worth keeping? I'm thinking of having a couple of these graded but can't afford to waste money so I'm asking if it even worth doing at all. Thank youKevin

16815861562403261045960051254311.jpg

16815861870643607022669424803049.jpg

16815862426673569843596713303220.jpg

1681586310558435316789249416285.jpg

16815863295515099540030976243573.jpg

16815864320594541756721947249238.jpg

Hello and welcome to the hobby. We would appreciate if you could crop the photos and rotate them into proper orientation. Upon examination with what I can see, are normal circulated coins only worth face value or slightly more. We here in this forum want to encourage new collectors but at the same time help the collector realize that not every shiny coin is worth a lot of money. By enlarging and orienting the coins properly, it helps us better see the coins and ultimately make a better judgement. Welcome to the group.

I agree, nothing here worth anything over face value.  Just normal circulated coins.  The only 1982 cent of value is the 1982 D small date copper.  Only 2 have been found though so odds are not good for finding one.

Edited by l.cutler

Just looks like circulated coins to me too, and I don't see a 1982-D cent.  Also, attached is an example of one of your coins rotated and cropped as Bill mentioned.

1681586310558435316789249416285.jpg.73a3a4060c6eaf1b7613a37ad881c68c.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Welcome to the NGC chat board. 

I agree with what the other members who have responded so far. Your coins are worth only their face value. The 1964 nickel appears to be in About Uncirculated condition, which is indeed nice for a coin that old, but there were over one billion 1964 nickels made with many uncirculated rolls of them saved, and they only have premium value in Choice to Gem Uncirculated condition, and generally even then not enough to warrant having such a coin third-party graded.  Mint marks were individually punched into coinage dies until the early 1990s, and the positions normally vary to the extent shown on your two 1980-D cents. Your 1985-D dime is weakly struck as well as worn, neither of which features gives it any value.

Coins are generally worth sending to grading services if they are individually worth several hundred dollars or more.  Other coins may be collected and enjoyed in coin albums and other appropriate holders.  You have much to learn before you should even think about sending coins to grading services. (Contrary to what you may have heard, it is extremely unusual to find coins of any value in circulation.)  Please refer to the following topics on this forum, which will direct you to the print and online resources you will need to learn how to evaluate and collect coins:

You should also consider attending such other venues as coin shows and coin club meetings where you can examine coins and speak to knowledgeable collectors and dealers.

On 4/15/2023 at 2:37 PM, l.cutler said:

The only 1982 cent of value is the 1982 D small date copper.  Only 2 have been found though so odds are not good for finding one.

Being more specific about this particular coin is necessary, especially for new collectors. The 1982 D Lincoln Memorial cent you are referring to is the 1982 D Small Date Bronze transitional mint error (3.08g-3.11g) cent. Only two of these cents have been found (it is believed there may be a total of five) and it is imperative to weigh them as the error was discovered by the weight being off from all normal 1982 D small date cents which are copper-plated zinc and weighed 2.5g.

As for the OP, I only see normal circulated coins and nothing special, so I would definitely not send these coins in for submission.

Everything you have there are just everyday circulated coins, it is not unusual to find nickels from the 60's and 50's that are "shinny" and nice.   I have put together several sets of Jefferson nickels dated 1938 to 1964 (except for the 50-D) all from change over the past 20 years, the best set has several very nice AU to MS coins.   In addition to those sets I have at least a partial roll of each date (and most mints) also pulled from circulation; yes that includes coins dated from the 30's.   Don't ask me why I've saved them, there is no good reason to really, just the collector/hoarder gene in me I guess.   I just literally pulled a 1963 from a pile of coins that I have not had time to put into my roll stash that looks just like the 1964 you posted, I get that to a new collector finding a coin that looks that good which is 60 years old seem incredible.   But the reality is that if you do some roll searching you will find many like it and likely many older nickels.   Nickel is a very hard alloy and these coins hold up well even with heavy circulation.

Edited by Coinbuf

I'm aware that you can't see the back of the dime very good. Where it says e pluribus unum it looks smeared or something and it isn't from wear. Like it happened at the mint. I've tried researching it but haven't  found anything to refer it to. That was the reason I thought it might be better to have a grading company look but I can't afford to just have any old coin graded. If it did happen at the mint would it be wortPXL_20230319_1701350475.jpg.acff2af9c31189aee76218307e11f6ec.jpgh it? 

NGC might (maybe, possibly) attribute it as a Struck Through error being it is not really "too minor", BUT being the coin it is and the relative amount of wear on it, it would be cost prohibitive to submit it as even under best circumstances with two bidders at an auction going head to head at it, the final sale would definitely not cover the cost to submit it. Even at MS 67 FT (which your dime is not even close to that grade) the dime is price guide value of $35. The dime cannot be given FT designation because the lower part of the torch was also affected, and mint errors are graded based upon the portion of the coin unaffected by the error. There is no way you would recoup your grading costs. Even with an error designation, you might only get $10-$15 in a slab from a hardcore Roosy collector as the coin sits.

On 4/18/2023 at 3:49 AM, KBen68 said:

Ok that's fair. So in 1980 was it normal to have a mint mark on a Denver penny to be close to the date on one and farther south on another

Absolutely normal.  In those days the mintmark was punched into each die by hand so the location will vary from die to die.

Through 1989 mint marks were hand punched into working dies, so there would be variations in the location.

Starting in the early 1980's complete dates had been added to the master hubs.  So by 1990 both the date and mint mark were incorporated into the master hubs, eliminating variations in the locations for both of those elements of a coin, with a few tears shed by variety collectors.