• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who knew Mexico made such nice coins???

6 posts in this topic

I recently acquired this modern Mexican 10 pesos coin when my grandfather passed away, as he had traveled the whole world with his wife, lecturing all over the place. I was astonished when I got the coin, as I had never really seen Mexican currency before. I don't know what old Mexican currency looks like, but these are now one of my favorites! I'm probably never going to use it, but I'm keeping it for it's beauty, since it's not worth much.

mexicancoinobverse.png

mexicancoinreverse.png

On 4/14/2023 at 12:34 PM, World Colonial said:

You're presumably surprised because you're used to the mediocrity on US circulating coinage.  There is a lot of mediocrity elsewhere too, but not everywhere.

Partly that, but I do own some Italian coins, an old Portuguese coin, a lot of Israeli shekels and aggurot, as well as currencies from many other countries, and this just struck me for some reason. I think part of it also has to do with the fact that it's from Mexico, and Mexico never struck me as any sort of advanced, high level country, and so I would never have expect them to make high level currency as beautiful, but I love it!

There are many beautifully designed coins throughout Central and South America, not just moderns, as well as many historically significant coins tied to the conquest, colonization, and construction of the Americas, including ties to Europe and beyond. 

Awesome coin, just the tip of the iceberg if you delve into Mexican coinage. (thumbsu

I find it hard to believe not one of Los Chapitos, the sons of El Chapo, expressed an interest In assembling a world-class compilation of those massive, gorgeous 50-peso 1.2 oz gold coins. It is a shame none [reportedly] cultivated a taste for the finer things in life and in Mexico that giant coin would certainly rank high on any sicarios list of must-haves. Now, with the multi-count indictments that have just been handed down in multiple jurisdictions... gold pesos?  Pffft!

On 4/14/2023 at 6:17 PM, Pocket Changer said:

Partly that, but I do own some Italian coins, an old Portuguese coin, a lot of Israeli shekels and aggurot, as well as currencies from many other countries, and this just struck me for some reason. I think part of it also has to do with the fact that it's from Mexico, and Mexico never struck me as any sort of advanced, high level country, and so I would never have expect them to make high level currency as beautiful, but I love it!

1847 Mexico 4R Obv.JPG