• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6516864 scheduled for grading
1 1

91 posts in this topic

This inquiry would have been better placed on the "Ask NGC/NCS" forum. I don't think that the NGC staff who answer such questions monitor this forum.  However, I copied this "Status Explanations" window from the "Submission Tracking" function. I hope the following helps:

Status Explanations

Received

The submitted coins have been counted and entered in NGC’s computer system along with the submitter information, submission date and requested service.

In the next step, a detailed description of each coin will be entered in NGC’s computer system (a process commonly called “verification”), the coins will be separated from any paperwork that would identify the submitter and the submission will be prepared for grading.

Scheduled for Evaluation / Grading

Each coin has now been described in detail in NGC’s computer system and checked against the submitter’s descriptions. A unique identification number has been assigned to each coin based on the submission form number and line item number. These identification numbers are printed on temporary holders and will be used to track each coin throughout NGC’s grading process.

Submissions are then arranged by service and received date so that they can be graded on a "first in-first out" basis by service type.

If NCS services were requested, the submission will be routed to NCS and NCS services will be completed first.

Grading / Encapsulation / Imaging

Coins are authenticated, graded and encapsulated. Once encapsulated, they are re-examined to verify that the grade and accompanying description is correct. The holder is also checked for defects such as scuffs or nicks.

After grading and encapsulation, coins are imaged.

Quality Control / Finalized

Coins are inspected and approved in Quality Control before being carefully packaged to return to the submitter.

At Submission Center

Coins have arrived at the Submission Center and are available for pick up.

Shipped

Coins have been certified, imaged, inspected and approved in Quality Control, carefully packaged and are being shipped back to the submitter. Grades are now available for viewing online.

Edited by Sandon

It's through receiving and scheduled for grading. The attribution can still change based on what the graders opinion is. I've had many a submission get bounced back and forth between stages. Be patient and don't be afraid to call in and ask for an update, it's a process, especially with unique or first time items. Good luck!(thumbsu

So, what token did you submit?

On 4/10/2023 at 11:20 PM, Ernest Nichols said:

white metal

Do you mean tin, or a tin alloy? The term "white metal" is meaningless.

The term white metal is used all the time for these tokens and NGC. It means there are different compositions of metal from that time period. It’s basically a pot metal that was used for planchets by these private companies. 

On 4/11/2023 at 1:10 PM, Ernest Nichols said:

The term white metal is used all the time for these tokens and NGC. It means there are different compositions of metal from that time period. It’s basically a pot metal that was used for planchets by these private companies. 

It remains a meaningless term. It is now very easy to determine the elemental content, and buyers and sellers should be explicit. The information can help establish when the pieces were made or if they are modern inventions, fakes or something else.

I am guessing “g” which is lead, but it could be German silver. Either way it’s a R-9. Very nice token. Source: Civil War Tokens by David Bowers. Good luck with your token.

Sorry. Maybe I missed the identification. The book states “also metals b and j”…which is “brass” or “various nickel alloy including German silver.” I am referencing pages 166 and 167.  Do you think it’s brass?

Very interesting…. Could be j r or m

gentleman at Scottsdale coin did also said that the way it appears to look bubbled up in the field that would more than likely be zinc. But dont rule out lead or tin. In my opinion… im leaning toward zinc. Im sure the fine people at NGC will know for sure what composition it really is. 

Since these tokens were the same size as a modern cent, and the weight is greater than a bronze cent (3.4 grams as compared to 3.11 grams) I would go with a lead/tin or lead/zinc pewter alloy  It is too heave to be copper, brass, or nickel alloy. Silver CWT are typically overstruck on seated dimes which would be 2.5 grams.  I think it is too light be lead, and way too heavy to be tin, zinc, aluminum, or iron.  It obviously isn't gilt.

So that pretty much leaves e.The problem is "white metal" can pretty much be any silver colored alloy from aluminum alloys through lead alloys and the weights can vary widely. ("Pewter has the same problem, the term can be applied to a wide range of alloys.)  Since it weighs more than a copper cent I would bet on a lead based alloy.

Edited by Conder101

Absolutely correct and this is what i have been trying to say. Hopefully i can re-submit while the token is still there. I made a mistake with original submission and put a f-230/352b “white metal” without doing the proper research, i just dont want to see it shipped back and then turn around and ship it back to them all because of a piece of paper that gives a different description. Why cant i submit an inline form stating the correct description? its very obvious this token is not brass nor is it copper. I will pay the extra fee to have it slabbed correctly. And furthermore, i would think that anybody who is anybody would want there name  on this attribute and grade on this one of a kind token. 

Edited by Ernest Nichols

Ernest, your token is 230/352B.  Die 230 can be identified by the stripes (as opposed to stars) in the shield.  Die 352B can be identified by the fuse hole (dot on worn dies) on the front cannon (absent on die 352 and die 352A). If the token is white metal, the attribution would be F-230/352Be.

On 4/20/2023 at 7:37 AM, Conder101 said:

If the coin is still at NGC, call customer service and you can probably get the designation corrected.

Yes sir, I’ve spoke to two different people there and it has gone back. I hope they look further into the composition! That is the biggest thing at this point. 

On 4/20/2023 at 7:35 AM, Redline68 said:

Ernest, your token is 230/352B.  Die 230 can be identified by the stripes (as opposed to stars) in the shield.  Die 352B can be identified by the fuse hole (dot on worn dies) on the front cannon (absent on die 352 and die 352A). If the token is white metal, the attribution would be F-230/352Be.

Also, other than the stars and stripes… the wreath runs in the opposite direction 

5472DCEA-129D-42D8-B854-7907F643C78E.jpeg