• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Authentic? How can you tell?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

posted on counterfeit forum as well. Apologies if you read this twice.

I have a number of coins from my families collection. I am not a collector but would like to know about them. My first question is authenticity. How can one tell if it is real? What am I looking for on this example? I am limited to the number of photos I can post but if it would help I can try and post more on specific areas to look at. Any help is deeply appreciated.

weight: 16.42 grams

diameter: 33 mm

8C713891-4DC5-424C-9005-FF3399ADA1F2.jpeg

4BC3F5EE-98F0-4725-8F83-1A10B55BBC26.jpeg

3C5CA620-86DE-4304-BE8B-2847F53D2A87.png

92F1D996-4120-4402-9526-78094B5AB68A.png

Kings of Pontus, Mithradates VI, 120 – 63. Tetradrachm 67-66, AR 16.59 g. Diademed head r. Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ / ΜΥΘΡΑΔΑΤΟΥ / ΕΥΠAΤΟΡΟΣ / AΛΣ Deer grazing l.; at sides, star over crescent and monogram. All within ivy-wreath. Waddington 131 (as a starting point). de Callataÿ pl. XIII, D77/R1.

Photos too fuzzy to help much.

See: https://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=2200985&AucID=5291&Lot=199&Val=bd9592f815422c01bef24e8c305e76d9

Edited by RWB

[Welcome to the Forum and hope you've enjoyed a Happy Easter!  I am glad you were able to get an answer on something that was "all Greek to me" from a knowledgeable source... and in record time, all of ten hours!... on a holiday no less!  Remarkable.]

Welcome to the NGC chat board.   

The authentication of ancient coins can be complex and requires the assistance of an expert, who would need to examine the coins themselves. They were struck (or sometimes cast) by hand from handmade dies. No two genuine pieces are exactly alike, and there were counterfeits made during ancient times and at various times since, up to the present.  NGC Ancients authenticates and grades such pieces, but it is difficult to submit these pieces without being able to describe them accurately on the submission forms, and it could prove unnecessarily costly if they turn out to be mostly counterfeit and/or of low value.

You can check several dealer directories of which I am aware for dealers who hold them out as having expertise in ancients to hopefully find someone in your area who can assist you.  NGC has one at Results | Coin Dealer Locator | NGC (ngccoin.com). The Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG) is a somewhat selective organization of purportedly reputable dealers, which has a member dealer locator at Find A PNG Dealer (memberclicks.net). There are also dealer locators for ancient coins on the websites of the American Numismatic Association at Ancient Coin Dealers (money.org) and Coin World (numismatic periodical) at Listings in Ancients | Coin World - Find a coin, bullion, medal, and paper money dealer.  If you are interested in selling the coins at auction, some of the major numismatic auction houses, such as Goldberg Coins & Collectibles (GOLDBERG COINS & COLLECTIBLES INC. – A FAMILY TRADITION SINCE 1930), Heritage (ha.com), and Stacks Bowers (stacksbowers.com) may also be helpful.