• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANA - new director of education plus a possible board member

31 posts in this topic

What do you think of the new education director at the ANA. What do you think of John Brush’s desire to become a board member? 

The ANA is pleased to announce that Christian Strayhorn will soon join the Association’s team as its new Education Director.

by American Numismatic Association l Published on March 28, 2023

Born and raised in North Carolina, Strayhorn has 17 years of experience in the education sector with community colleges, and public, private, charter and international schools (El Salvador, Brazil and China). She began her career as a history teacher and school administrator after receiving a Bachelor of Arts, History from North Carolina State University, graduating Summa Laude. She later went on to receive a Masters of Arts, History from the University of Nebraska-Kearney. She has been honored with numerous fellowships – including a Transatlantic Outreach Program (TOP) fellowship to Germany and a National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) at UC Berkeley – and has earned Certificates in Global Education Entrepreneurship from UPENN and in School Management and Leadership from Harvard Business School.

Strayhorn’s recent focus has been on redesigning learning experiences and creating programs that are engaging, entertaining, interactive and informative. She has authored historical fiction and non-fiction books, research articles, been a guest blogger, a TEDx speaker, and an international speaker and presenter.

“I’m a tireless advocate for life-long learning,” says Strayhorn. “The ability to bring my experiences with history and education to the world of numismatics feels like a beautiful culmination of my career journey. I am eager to jump in and continue the amazing and inspiring work of the ANA.”

Strayhorn assumes the role of ANA Education Director on March 29. She will be responsible for implementing an online education program while elevating and improving upon existing programs. Strayhorn takes the reins from Rodney Gillis, who retired after serving the ANA for nearly 17 years. The newly expanded Education Director role will oversee educational content development and programs for a new eLearning platform, and collaborate with national numismatic experts for teaching in the Association’s eLearning Academy, technical seminars and the acclaimed Summer Seminar. A major focus will be implementing a new Learning Management System.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Christian to our numismatic community,” says ANA Executive Director Kim Kiick. “This newly expanded leadership role is critical to the ANA's mission, and I believe Christian is that person who can help expand our educational initiatives for the next generation of collectors.”

On 4/1/2023 at 1:20 PM, RWB said:

ANA does not need more coin dealers on the Board.

I thought that be your’s and Kurt’s response. I’m on the eduction should be the primary focus of the ANA.

On 4/1/2023 at 1:46 PM, Coinbuf said:

It is rather difficult to have any opinion of the new education director considering that I do not know and have never heard of her until now.    She seems well schooled, but how has that translated to any real world accomplishments, this I do not know.   I have met some folks with lots of higher education that couldn't think their way out of a paper bag, and conversely some people without a high school diploma that can problem solve very well.   Also the bit that you posted doesn't describe if she has any experience with coin collecting, either as a collector or having been around the hobby.   Maybe that is not relevant, maybe it should be, time will tell if she can have any positive impact on the ANA's educational mission going forward.

As to Mr. Brush, what is the angle?   That may come off sounding very judgmental, but my sense of him is that he does things that benefit him so that is what popped into my mind as a first reaction to your question.   

I don’t believe she has any, or much, numismatic or collecting experience. But more focus on eLearning should be a big plus.

The ANA exists to benefit collectors and numismatic knowledge. Those ideals exclude most who are in the coin business for the money.

Edited by RWB

As to Mr. Brush, what is the angle?   That may come off sounding very judgmental, but my sense of him is that he does things that benefit him so that is what popped into my mind as a first reaction to your question.   

Mine too, another promoter of the financialization of "collecting".  My recollection is that he wrote a post on the PCGS Forum in the Hansen mega thread where Hansen was telling "wide eyed" bankers about how coins were undervalued vs. art.  Less sure about this second one but also recall him making a similar comment agreeing with Laura Sperber. 

Edited by World Colonial

I would think someone even with vast teaching knowledge would have to have some numismatic background for that job. If not she will be asking others a lot of questions.    

I think that there is room enough in the A.N.A. for both collectors and dealers, provided that the organization is focused upon providing educational and other pertinent services to its dues paying members rather than outreach to the general public. As I recall, it was an emphasis on the latter that led to the replacement of the Board and the firing of the then executive director in 2007. 

I agree that it would have been preferable for the new education director to have a background in numismatics as well as in education.

I had no clue who John Brush was prior to this post, that he is attached to DLRC is a little disturbing in that he may have an agenda but Jeff Garrett was similarly involved in numismatics correct? I'm not sure if JG was held in high regards as ANA Pres. but he seemed to be,  and I have no idea as to JB's ideas as to what the ANA should shepard. All I know is that i don't like the potential conflict of interest but I don't know how you could eliminate that overlapping of business and philanthropy.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

It is rather difficult to have any opinion of the new education director considering that I do not know and have never heard of her until now.    She seems well schooled, but how has that translated to any real world accomplishments, this I do not know.   I have met some folks with lots of higher education that couldn't think their way out of a paper bag, and conversely some people without a high school diploma that can problem solve very well.   Also the bit that you posted doesn't describe if she has any experience with coin collecting, either as a collector or having been around the hobby.   Maybe that is not relevant, maybe it should be, time will tell if she can have any positive impact on the ANA's educational mission going forward.

...well if all else fails u can determine her merits by the design of her book covers....

I wish her well.  eLearning has been a positive for the ANA and expanding the program should be good for the organization. 

On 4/1/2023 at 12:20 PM, RWB said:

ANA does not need more coin dealers on the Board.

The ANA does not need ANY coin dealers on the Board. There should be none at all.

On 4/1/2023 at 3:53 PM, Sandon said:

I think that there is room enough in the A.N.A. for both collectors and dealers, provided that the organization is focused upon providing educational and other pertinent services to its dues paying members rather than outreach to the general public. As I recall, it was an emphasis on the latter that led to the replacement of the Board and the firing of the then executive director in 2007. 

I agree that it would have been preferable for the new education director to have a background in numismatics as well as in education.

The new education director does have a collecting background, just not in numismatics.

On 4/1/2023 at 12:48 PM, Zebo said:

I don’t believe she has any, or much, numismatic or collecting experience. But more focus on eLearning should be a big plus.

She has a collecting background in an unrelated hobby.

On 4/2/2023 at 3:01 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

She doesn't really need that much numismatic knowledge - as the director, she won't be writing the things. But, judging by the sounds of what she's doing, a fresh (outside) perspective is what is needed to revitalize these programs. She can rely and a whole team of people to actually write the learning - the director's job is vision and direction. 

Correctomundo!

On 4/14/2023 at 1:37 PM, charlychies said:

Hi! (I am a newbie and glad to join) Totally get what you r saying.
Jeff Garrett, who was involved in numismatics, did serve as ANA President and was generally well-regarded, but it's hard to say for sure about John Brush's ideas for the ANA... The overlapping of business and philanthropy can definitely be tricky to navigate.
However, I wanna ask, please, do you have any ideas on how the ANA could ensure transparency and accountability to minimize conflicts of interest?

Excellent question! I need to chew on this a bit. xD Let me think and research over the weekend. I don't have any suggestions off the top of my head at the moment, other than ANA board members should include all numismatic affiliations in their title (maybe they do already), but as a world coin collector , and onetime ANA member, (temporarily lapsed) I'd like to reflect on this. 

I will get back to you. (thumbsu

Welcome to the forum btw. :hi:

On 4/1/2023 at 9:37 PM, RWB said:

Greed must never be ANA's creed.

I do not know if it is or isn't but there are euphemistically acceptable ways of getting around such minor irritants, like motives.

On 4/14/2023 at 1:37 PM, charlychies said:

.... do you have any ideas on how the ANA could ensure transparency and accountability to minimize conflicts of interest?

There are members with sufficient "institutional memory" to give you the forthright answer you seek to your question, but I regret I am not one of them.  Maybe some day, someone will post a topic along the lines of, If the ANA were yours to run, what would you change in the first 30 days?  What would you do differently?

On 4/14/2023 at 9:27 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I do not know if it is or isn't but there are euphemistically acceptable ways of getting around such minor irritants, like motives.

These are not minor irritants except to the naive. Commercial entities/individuals are in the business for money -- that overrides and taints everything else.

On 4/14/2023 at 8:44 PM, RWB said:

These are not minor irritants except to the naive. Commercial entities/individuals are in the business for money -- that overrides and taints everything else.

It does indeed. And Shana Schmidt's ideas for the World's Fair of Money are a prime example. Every nuance of her agenda is designed to enrich HER, personally. She probably can't help herself. She's from Chicago and it involves an elective office. Corruption is the starting point.

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/10/2023 at 9:01 AM, jonatans said:

This is why it's important to pay for a paper from a reliable and experienced writing service like EssayUSA. With their team of professional writers, students can be sure that their papers will be of the highest quality and written with the necessary experience and expertise.

What about learning to write your own papers and building expertise? I’m not sure what you are trying to accomplish by your statement. 

On 5/10/2023 at 9:17 AM, Greenstang said:

Possible spam promoting Essay USA

One post and professional plagiarism is his message. Ridiculous. 

On 5/10/2023 at 5:33 PM, VKurtB said:

One post and professional plagiarism is his message. Ridiculous. 

Time for the moderators to terminate that account!

I know very little about the workings of the ANA and I know even less about what the board members do. Help me understand how dealers on the board could use the position to help themselves? They must have found ways for so many to have such strong feelings on the topic. What mix of people on the board would be best? Before reading this thread, I would have thought a wide mix would be best. 

On 4/1/2023 at 4:45 PM, Zebo said:

What do you think of the new education director at the ANA. What do you think of John Brush’s desire to become a board member? 

The ANA is pleased to announce that Christian Strayhorn will soon join the Association’s team as its new Education Director.

by American Numismatic Association l Published on March 28, 2023

Born and raised in North Carolina, Strayhorn has 17 years of experience in the education sector with community colleges, and public, private, charter and international schools (El Salvador, Brazil and China). She began her career as a history teacher and school administrator after receiving a Bachelor of Arts, History from North Carolina State University, graduating Summa Laude. She later went on to receive a Masters of Arts, History from the University of Nebraska-Kearney. She has been honored with numerous fellowships – including a Transatlantic Outreach Program (TOP) fellowship to Germany and a National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) at UC Berkeley – and has earned Certificates in Global Education Entrepreneurship from UPENN and in School Management and Leadership from Harvard Business School.

Strayhorn’s recent focus has been on redesigning learning experiences and creating programs that are engaging, entertaining, interactive and informative. She has authored historical fiction and non-fiction books, research articles, been a guest blogger, a TEDx speaker, and an international speaker and presenter.

“I’m a tireless advocate for life-long learning,” says Strayhorn. “The ability to bring my experiences with history and education to the world of numismatics feels like a beautiful culmination of my career journey. I am eager to jump in and continue the amazing and inspiring work of the ANA.”

Strayhorn assumes the role of ANA Education Director on March 29. She will be responsible for implementing an online education program while elevating and improving upon existing programs. Strayhorn takes the reins from Rodney Gillis, who retired after serving the ANA for nearly 17 years. The newly expanded Education Director role will oversee educational content development and programs for a new eLearning platform, and collaborate with national numismatic experts for teaching in the Association’s eLearning Academy, technical seminars and the acclaimed Summer Seminar. A major focus will be implementing a new Learning Management System.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Christian to our numismatic community,” says ANA Executive Director Kim Kiick. “This newly expanded leadership role is critical to the ANA's mission, and I believe Christian is that person who can help expand our educational initiatives for the next generation of collectors.”

I am thrilled to welcome Christian Strayhorn to ANA as the new Director of Education. His experience and dedication to educational initiatives promise to bring new ideas and energy to our association. People like this often motivate me. I also often use the nursing paper writing service, I found https://edubirdie.com/nursing-paper-writing-service for myself. Motivation cannot last forever in a person. Like everyone else, sometimes I lose it and don’t want to do anything.

Edited by kevinhamiltongsk