• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin book cover design
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Sometimes KISS is best....maybe a picture of a nice proof Silver Morgan dollar....an image of a prospector maybe panning for gold/silver...something like that.

Look at all these books, including yours.....simple pictures of coins tells what's inside:

2020 Books 1280.jpg

On 3/27/2023 at 9:30 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Sometimes KISS is best....maybe a picture of a nice proof Silver Morgan dollar....an image of a prospector maybe panning for gold/silver...something like that.

Look at all these books, including yours.....simple pictures of coins tells what's inside:

2020 Books 1280.jpg

...u dont seriously believe that either the dedicated coin collector or the casual observer is going to shell out $30-40-50 on a book about coins because of the cover do u? if the cover image is interesting or provocative enuf they mite actually pick it up n look inside...the dedicated collector is more interested in the title n subject matter the casual observer mite give a second thought if the cover lead with "How to get rich or how to make a fortune"...the all time best/highest selling coin books didnt even have pictures on their covers, if that much effort n thought has to go into the marketing of a book it tells u a lot about the demand for the book....

On 3/27/2023 at 10:39 AM, zadok said:

...u dont seriously believe that either the dedicated coin collector or the casual observer is going to shell out $30-40-50 on a book about coins because of the cover do u? if the cover image is interesting or provocative enuf they mite actually pick it up n look inside...the dedicated collector is more interested in the title n subject matter the casual observer mite give a second thought if the cover lead with "How to get rich or how to make a fortune"...the all time best/highest selling coin books didnt even have pictures on their covers, if that much effort n thought has to go into the marketing of a book it tells u a lot about the demand for the book....

Today's young crowd probably prefers a text message summary of the book ! xD

…u don't seriously believe

… What? Uh uh, what was that word?
Uh, what word?
…what?
WHAT?
Did you say …u?
Yeah, …u.
What is a …u?
Oh, excuse me your Honor  …you.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:39 AM, zadok said:

...interesting or provocative enuf they mite actually pick it up n look inside...

This is exactly what a book cover design does....or should do.

Simple coin hobby book covers are commonly a picture of a coin - usually one featured inside. But cover art can also go beyond the superficial (well a little bit) to help the potential reader consider other aspects of the subject. The Renaissance books do this through two contemporary depictions of Liberty, and one of TR "in charge" steering the ship of state. I feel this is a subliminal message to look further in the book.

Roger - FMtM and Renaissance trilogy are your best book covers. Simple, evocative, title is bold.... I don't care for extraneous imagery. 

In that vein, I like the Eagle and Lion cover better. Just make sure the imagery conveys the message of your book. 

On 3/27/2023 at 4:24 PM, RWB said:

This is exactly what a book cover design does....or should do.

Simple coin hobby book covers are commonly a picture of a coin - usually one featured inside. But cover art can also go beyond the superficial (well a little bit) to help the potential reader consider other aspects of the subject. The Renaissance books do this through two contemporary depictions of Liberty, and one of TR "in charge" steering the ship of state. I feel this is a subliminal message to look further in the book.

...sounds like marketing for pulp fiction, but i guess if there r any subliminal coin collectors out there u mite get a few buyers...hopefully the books r not shrink wrapped so the buyers r not disappointed later....

The cover is essential. I worked for a NYC publisher and a professional design agency did all the covers. The pros know which typeface to select, how many sizes of that typeface to use, and even how to combine typefaces. They have a great knowledge of colors and how to combine these. It costs a lot to do all this so many numismatic books can't afford professional design. But believe me, a book cover done by a professional graphics agency stands out.

Interesting that we spend so much time here on the eye appeal of coins. It takes experience to do this and similarly a professional designer will look at thousands of book covers to develop some sort of artistic intuition.

Yes, the first book design is cluttered. The second is nicely done.

Would you keep a 5K coin in a 2x2 cardboard flip and scrawl the grade and type illegibly in pencil? I think not--that's why many like coins slabbed, either by the TPGs or the kind you can buy from coin supply houses. It adds beauty.

As Goldfinger notes, auction catalogs often have the best kind of professional design elements. The quality of the cover and layout must be as good as the coins being sold.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:09 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Roger - FMtM and Renaissance trilogy are your best book covers. Simple, evocative, title is bold.... I don't care for extraneous imagery. 

In that vein, I like the Eagle and Lion cover better. Just make sure the imagery conveys the message of your book. 

The two Liberty designs for Renaissance were made by artist Jane Waldron after WW-1 era posters. The TR cover was designed my me based on a cover of Puck magazine. The FMTM cover was also my design using a woodcut from one of Evans' books about the US Mint. (The MTM-2 cover uses a similar design but a different woodcut. The large "2" is awkward, but I felt it necessary to clearly separate it from the first book.)

1115667585_cover6x9sm.thumb.jpg.3201f6cfa9b574ffe15925e52df4e7ab.jpg

Edited by RWB
spelling

On 3/28/2023 at 10:41 AM, roadbike said:

The cover is essential. I worked for a NYC publisher and a professional design agency did all the covers. The pros know which typeface to select, how many sizes of that typeface to use, and even how to combine typefaces. They have a great knowledge of colors and how to combine these. It costs a lot to do all this so many numismatic books can't afford professional design. But believe me, a book cover done by a professional graphics agency stands out.

Interesting that we spend so much time here on the eye appeal of coins. It takes experience to do this and similarly a professional designer will look at thousands of book covers to develop some sort of artistic intuition.

Would you keep a 5K coin in a 2x2 cardboard flip and scrawl the grade and type illegibly in pencil? I think not--that's why many like coins slabbed, either by the TPGs or the kind you can buy from coin supply houses. It adds beauty.

As Goldfinger notes, auction catalogs often have the best kind of professional design elements. The quality of the cover and layout must be as good as the coins being sold.

...i assume it all depends on the audience one is trying to sell to...or get the attention of....

The audience is essential. But it takes a skilled and talented graphic artist to capture the gist of the book with beauty. Nowadays many if most books don't go the graphic designer route as everyone can play with the typefaces and colors and add photos. When I spot a book like this (this doesn't apply to numismatic books, I realize they have very small press runs and that they are done out of love for the hobby) I examine the contents and discover it's well, not first rate.

Real publishing has almost disappeared. If you pull out some volumes in any bookstore you'll see the lack of appear on so many covers., will instantly notice the thick cheap paper, the large font and the whitespace between the lines, the lack of reviews from reputable media printed on the cover, and overall light weight of the book.

There are book collectors and I dare say it's an extremely challenging hobby or avocation. In our hobby we have the Numismatic Bibliomania Society. Who knows, perhaps in the future groups like this will be like the monasteries of the Middle Ages--saving knowledge until the world regains appreciation for this knowledge.

I suspect that years from now, books written before this time will have an extra air of authenticity--they can't have been changed by the computer. We all desire authentic coins. The day will come when we will treasure authentic information. Chat GPT 4 and other intelligence programs are not just tools but game-changers.

All these Red Books--they are what they are and so are printed coin catalogs. Maybe those who change books via the computer, especially e-books mand the like, are similar to the coin doctors?

On 3/28/2023 at 4:13 PM, roadbike said:

The audience is essential. But it takes a skilled and talented graphic artist to capture the gist of the book with beauty. Nowadays many if most books don't go the graphic designer route as everyone can play with the typefaces and colors and add photos. When I spot a book like this (this doesn't apply to numismatic books, I realize they have very small press runs and that they are done out of love for the hobby) I examine the contents and discover it's well, not first rate.

Real publishing has almost disappeared. If you pull out some volumes in any bookstore you'll see the lack of appear on so many covers., will instantly notice the thick cheap paper, the large font and the whitespace between the lines, the lack of reviews from reputable media printed on the cover, and overall light weight of the book.

There are book collectors and I dare say it's an extremely challenging hobby or avocation. In our hobby we have the Numismatic Bibliomania Society. Who knows, perhaps in the future groups like this will be like the monasteries of the Middle Ages--saving knowledge until the world regains appreciation for this knowledge.

I suspect that years from now, books written before this time will have an extra air of authenticity--they can't have been changed by the computer. We all desire authentic coins. The day will come when we will treasure authentic information. Chat GPT 4 and other intelligence programs are not just tools but game-changers.

All these Red Books--they are what they are and so are printed coin catalogs. Maybe those who change books via the computer, especially e-books mand the like, are similar to the coin doctors?

...sounds like putting lipstick on a pig...its whats inside the book n not whats on the outside that determines if the book has merit n demand....

On 3/28/2023 at 2:53 PM, RWB said:

The two Liberty designs for Renaissance were made by artist Jane Waldron after WW-1 era posters. The TR cover was designed my me based on a cover of Puck magazine. The FMTM cover was also my design using a woodcut from one of Evans' books about the US Mint. (The MTM-2 cover uses a similar design but a different woodcut. The large "2" is awkward, but I felt it necessary to clearly separate it from the first book.)

What about the Saints book -- a duplicate more-or-less of their earlier version which was pretty much the Morse Catalog from 2005 ?

On 3/28/2023 at 4:47 PM, zadok said:

...sounds like putting lipstick on a pig...its whats inside the book n not whats on the outside that determines if the book has merit n demand....

True...and yet a good book cover, like a good theatrical trailer, can definitely pique my interest and cause me to explore further. (thumbsu

On 3/28/2023 at 11:47 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

What about the Saints book -- a duplicate more-or-less of their earlier version which was pretty much the Morse Catalog from 2005 ?

I had no input on that cover. It was just a copy of the Morse Collection vanity book.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:48 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

True...and yet a good book cover, like a good theatrical trailer, can definitely pique my interest and cause me to explore further. (thumbsu

...but would a "good" book cover cause u to actually spend money?....

An optimum design would compel action: buy the book and read it.

A good design would encourage attention and possible examination.

On 3/29/2023 at 12:02 PM, zadok said:

The answer is yes! So would the quality of the jacket, binding and pages. The content must be interesting, but the rest adds to it. 
why not - I love books. 

I prefer the second book cover design.  I also agree that the font that the titles appear in are also important...  Try to tweak that.

I used something that I thought was simple:

I wanted the large coin (500-Won) to look larger, but editor had other ideas.

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 4.42.55 PM.png

Edited by mlovmo

Looks nice, Mark. I'd also favor a somewhat larger image of the 500 Won, and also visually centering your name under the image.

Roadbike  has conveyed some very useful information not only for authors and readers, but for those who prepare and judge educational exhibits.

On 3/27/2023 at 11:36 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Today's young crowd probably prefers a text message summary of the book !

Yes the TL:DR version

On 3/29/2023 at 12:02 PM, zadok said:

... valid question. bibles all seem to be clothed in black, and continue to be the best-selling books of all time, but what's the draw? the older gutenberg's command higher prices, but are too fragile to read. the most expensive book sold by the strand was a copy of the complete works of wm. shakespeare which went for $2-1/2M smackeroos. i like the woodcut used on "mine to mint," but would have preferred an antique full-bodied, "2" to go with the cover motif.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Insertion of word.

On 4/29/2023 at 9:15 PM, Henri Charriere said:

would have preferred an antique full-bodied, "2" to go with the cover motif.

I tried several fonts but none looked better. Agree that it is "not quite right." Kindly let me know if you have any suggestions. :)

On 3/28/2023 at 5:41 PM, roadbike said:

The design of a book is very important, and even more so its cover. Most people look at the cover first. I just worked at a book factory and I know what I'm talking about. I wanted to achieve career goals, I even read about it using  https://edubirdie.com/examples/career-goals/ for this. Books are a gift that teaches us. I think without them we would simply be uneducated.

Totally agree with you

Edited by davidturner