• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greek coin what is this
2 2

57 posts in this topic

The "coin" in the pendant has the appearance of an Athenian tetradrachm or "owl", a popular coin from the fifth century B.C.  However, this one is almost certainly a modern replica or fake made for use as jewelry.  The genuine coins are composed of silver.  This one appears to be made of a brass or other copper alloy. Based on the rough surface and brightness, it appears to have been cast rather than hammered and then highly polished.

Thanks for your opinion but this time you’re are wrong been certified and appraised  with the certificate of authenticity and it’s silver  so everyone please don’t listen to theses experts opinions all the time get it appraised and certified 

And you wrong agin took it a coin dealer in Charlotte North Carolina he verified it authentication also why all you so adamant to say it’s worthless when I know that not true   What wrong with being incorrect sometimes so people if  listen to this expert opinions he probably always wrong  this is probably the first time but it always a first so be a good sport 

On 3/26/2023 at 1:30 PM, bobbyboshay said:

And you wrong agin took it a coin dealer in Charlotte North Carolina he verified it authentication also why all you so adamant to say it’s worthless when I know that not true   What wrong with being incorrect sometimes so people if  listen to this expert opinions he probably always wrong  this is probably the first time but it always a first so be a good sport 

If you know the answer, then why are you asking the question???

Because I want to share the knowledge to inform people that people like you don’t know everything  and your opinion is ok just don’t get into the idea if something’s is fake or not if you don’t have all the facts sir you stated it’s probably fake or a replica anyone with 20/20 vision can see the silver content I also have another one that is grade  by NGC 5/5  4/5 

296E45FF-D14B-48B2-8063-959DB2583CC1.jpeg

As the Forum's sole dues-paying lurker with intermittent posting privileges, I should like to offer two bits of helpful advice.

First, while I am in no wise (in the archaic/scriptural sense) fit to dust off or tie another member's shoes, I would strongly advise knowing something about the person to whom you are directing your remarks. If that means reviewing the comments and longevity of a member here, do so.  I believe Sandon has exhibited remarkable restrainst in stating his position whether one agrees with it or not. Bear in mind, members have a tendency to be skeptical after wading through untold reams of spurious claims and outrageous uncorroborated evidence.

The second point, entirely my own is, if a purported rarity is "accessorized," it is usually because it's lost the lion's share of its value. Worse, it's damaged and exposed to the elements including oily, perspiring human hands.

To the O.P.:  if you would be so kind as to produce the suggested documentation, we can give your pterodactyl a decent burial.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
For diplomacy and clarity.

[I believe a fast-one was pulled here relative, to the OP's position, but am not sure, why or to what end.  A metallurgical analysis was provided indicating four elements were present, the dominant one being copper [Cu] and to a lesser extent tin [Sb] silver [Ag] and lead [Pb].

@RWB stated helpfully that the post I responded to was five years old. Both the OP's membership date and succession of posts contradicted this. This was quietly cleaned up with no Edit note, but silver stuck in my mind as Sandon had mentioned it. My reply to @RWB, as well as his contention, were excised. I was unaware of these developments until I revisited the thread and found my comment had been surreptitiously parked on a siding for review.  I mention this because another comment I made nearly an hour ago elsewhere has similarly been sidelined.  Other members may have experienced much of the same. It is an ever-present possibility.

If you are going to call people wrong, it is up to you to provide the proof.  Please post the certificate of authenticity, that definitely does not look like a genuine coin. Compare yours to the picture of the genuine one you posted, and you will see the difference.

Edited by l.cutler

Sometimes people just like to stir up the pot. I do not know about the coin in question only it does not look like the NGC coin posted and that it looks like a over polished cast coin to me?

Edited by J P M

On 3/27/2023 at 3:18 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

[I believe a fast-one was pulled here relative, to the OP's position, but am not sure, why or to what end.  A metallurgical analysis was provided indicating four elements were present, the dominant one being copper [Cu] and to a lesser extent tin [Sb] silver [Ag] and lead [Pb].

@RWB stated helpfully that the post I responded to was five years old. Both the OP's membership date and succession of posts contradicted this. This was quietly cleaned up with no Edit note, but silver stuck in my mind as Sandon had mentioned it. My reply to @RWB, as well as his contention, were excised. I was unaware of these developments until I revisited the thread and found my comment had been surreptitiously parked on a siding for review.  I mention this because another comment I made nearly an hour ago elsewhere has similarly been sidelined.  Other members may have experienced much of the same. It is an ever-present possibility.

I believe you are referring to a different thread about a different coin, by this same OP. This one, as a matter of fact: Click here for the other thread

On 3/26/2023 at 1:09 PM, bobbyboshay said:

Because I want to share the knowledge to inform people that people like you don’t know everything  and your opinion is ok just don’t get into the idea if something’s is fake or not if you don’t have all the facts sir you stated it’s probably fake or a replica anyone with 20/20 vision can see the silver content I also have another one that is grade  by NGC 5/5  4/

296E45FF-D14B-48B2-8063-959DB2583CC1.jpeg

Greek coin what is this

Started by bobbyboshay, Yesterday at 03:48 AM

thmonkey.gif.76fb051d0176ffab53dcd6dadb87014a.gif.d8dc7d3fdcdfd19b6e7cfca004466291.gif

On 3/27/2023 at 12:56 PM, Just Bob said:

I believe you are referring to a different thread about a different coin, by this same OP. This one, as a matter of fact: Click here for the other thread

You're right!  I appreciate the clarification. [It's beginning to look like I am past "pre-diabetic" and well beyond the "onset of dementia."]  Thanks!  🤣

On 3/27/2023 at 12:32 AM, RWB said:

It's a base metal knock-off used for jewelry. The bezel is probably worth more than pot metal.

Just like your opinions . Meaning you a knock off  and  your  opinions is worth 👎 👎 and the same to all the doubters 

Edited by bobbyboshay

On 3/27/2023 at 2:42 PM, rrantique said:

Greek coin what is this

Started by bobbyboshay, Yesterday at 03:48 AM

thmonkey.gif.76fb051d0176ffab53dcd6dadb87014a.gif.d8dc7d3fdcdfd19b6e7cfca004466291.gif

This is a snippet of a video of a chimp, named Bobby Beausoleil, most famously known for discovering a cure for smoking: lung cancer.

On 3/28/2023 at 7:57 AM, bobbyboshay said:

Just like your opinions . Meaning you a knock off  and  your  opinions is worth 👎 👎 and the same to all the doubters 

It's not a "doubt." The thing lacks all the characteristics of a normal Athenian "owl." It's a jewelry knock-off, noting more. The "certificate" posted is not of the same item, so unless you can post the identical item in a certified holder from PCGS or NGC you are caught in you "misunderstanding" and that is the end.

You are caught because you all caught up in your  feelings/and for the clown 🤡 who talking about chimps you a very irogance it's explain everything about you as a person thanks for showing your true self now the world's know you're a clown 🤡 this is about a coin how did  feelings get caught up

On 3/26/2023 at 1:43 PM, Pocket Changer said:

If you know the answer, then why are you asking the question???

If I may, I should like to answer your rhetorical question.  Let's say representations by a seller were made, and on the basis of those [plus, say, a "no returns" policy] you took the plunge and despite a considerable cash outlay, questions began to arise which, with frequency over time, caused you to doubt the very instincts you relied on in making the purchase. You ask for a proverbial "second opinion" which elicits a torrent of negative responses. Pre-purchase replies are usually taken in stride but a post-purchase review may result in a mix of emotions including but not limited to denial, belittling, challenges and outright insults. That's not particularly egregious because you've been here only 10 days and haven't gotten to know who's who. Interestingly, Northeastcoin.com is featuring one it sold on its website, sans price, which is user-friendly and easy to find in the absence of a link.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: correct typo

Look sir there was never any doubt also if the coin was not real money back was guarantee this post was just a post to educate people In not believing in the opinions of all the people who have something to say in a negative light as if they have all the answers which they don’t   so with that said thanks for your maturity in responding to just all of the comments .

On 3/31/2023 at 9:24 PM, bobbyboshay said:

Look sir there was never any doubt also if the coin was not real money back was guarantee this post was just a post to educate people In not believing in the opinions of all the people who have something to say in a negative light as if they have all the answers which they don’t   so with that said thanks for your maturity in responding to just all of the comments .

I would not expect you to understand this but in characterizing me as having "maturity," I am quite flattered.  My credibility here is shot, my reputation (or what shred of it remains) is tattered and I have been exiled with names which cannot be repeated here in polite company.  Needless to say, you gave my many detractors a good, hearty chuckle.  Records indicate I have 6,000+ posts.  I appreciate the compliment and feel my restricted comment quota for the day/week was well spent. 

On 3/26/2023 at 1:30 PM, bobbyboshay said:

He didn't authoritatively say it was not authentic....he clearly stated that it it APPEARED to be based on the limited photos/information you provided and gave it his best guestimate:

"The "coin" in the pendant has the appearance of an Athenian tetradrachm or "owl", a popular coin from the fifth century B.C.  However, this one is almost certainly a modern replica or fake made for use as jewelry.  The genuine coins are composed of silver.  This one appears to be made of a brass or other copper alloy. Based on the rough surface and brightness, it appears to have been cast rather than hammered and then highly polished."

We are not 100% correct here on these forums, Bobby, but we do our best.  (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/28/2023 at 7:57 AM, bobbyboshay said:

You realize you are talking to one of the most prolific numismatic researchers and authors in the entire country, right ?  :o

On 4/1/2023 at 2:02 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

You realize you are talking to one of the most prolific numismatic researchers and authors in the entire country, right ?  :o

No, he does not!  The owl is neither here nor there and can be debated much the way we do counterfeits.  But how does anyone spend more time here than I have (four years) and not have an inkling as to who is who in the arena?  Brief biographical sketches are fine but it seems what's needed is a program guide on Who's Who on the Chat Board.