• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Caesar need help with identifying this coin
2 2

6 posts in this topic

Cannot help you with the I.D., but I am willing to bet an embarrassingly small minority of collectors can name each of those elements.  One wonders why, if Iron comprises so little of the coin's composition, anyone would bother to even include it.  (Maybe this hybrid alloy could be used to mint new cents, more economically.) Nice piece!

On 3/24/2023 at 7:30 PM, RWB said:

...almost five years ago....dead thread.

How so?  I see 11 hrs., 11 hrs., 10 hrs., and 10 hrs., followed by my own now... unless you mean this matter had been addressed before with less than a satisfactory response.  🤔 

On 3/25/2023 at 6:05 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

How so?  I see 11 hrs., 11 hrs., 10 hrs., and 10 hrs., followed by my own now... unless you mean this matter had been addressed before with less than a satisfactory response.  🤔 

Strange. Mine originally had a 2018 date. Now it's normal and currently says 17 hrs ago.

The alloy is more-or-less typical raw copper. 18% lead is a little high. It might be one of the Latin "aurichalcum"-type of golden colored alloys used for Roman sestertius and dupondius denominations, but the absence of zinc is puzzling but the tin might compensate in producing the "golden" color; as is the absence of trace elements such as silver, arsenic and bismuth.

Edited by RWB