• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this dime I found in the washer?

5 posts in this topic

I did a small wash-load of towels (no clothes) and after I threw them in the dryer, I found this coin (dime, I believe) at the bottom of the washer. I never have change and my husband hasn't recently had any change in his pockets. We're wondering if it had been stuck in the washer somewhere and after many many cycles had somehow come loose and this is the result of it having been beat around in the machine or is it something else? You can see the faint outline of the head on one side with an indentation in the center. The back just has that weird raised "dot" with a very very faint ring around near the edge of the surface and the edge of the coin has the typical copper markings of a dime. It's definitely a silver color...more than the photos show. Any thoughts? 

dime front.jpg

dime back.jpg

• Administrator

Hello @djfpdx, Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, we cannot evaluate or authenticate coins via photos. Submission is required to receive the professional opinion of the NGC grading team. If you would like to consider sending the coin to us for grading, please visit: How To Submit | NGC

However, kindly keep in mind that coins with significant mechanical and/or environmental damage may not be eligible for grading. A very damaged coin can be difficult or impossible to identify and authenticate. If you submit a very damaged coin deemed ineligible for grading due to the damage, grading fees will still apply for the evaluation. 

If you would like to have someone take a look at the coin before deciding to submit the coin, you can visit a local coin dealer. NGC Authorized dealers can be found here: NGC | Dealer Locator.

If you have any other questions, please let us know. Have a good day!

Welcome to the NGC chat board. Although NGC doesn't provide free opinions, members of these forums can help.

Your dime is just severely worn and damaged, probably from the action of the washing machine over time.  I can see the remnant of a P or D mint mark above the date, meaning that it was minted after 1967 and is copper nickel clad, not silver.  It has no value above its face value of ten cents, assuming you can get someone to accept it. You definitely wouldn't want to pay a $19 grading fee, plus a $10 processing fee and shipping costs to submit it to NGC.