• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

German States EICHSTATT 2 Thaler Dav 2212
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just wondering about this fantastic 2 Thaler. What do you make of the line on the obverse? Is it likely that perhaps it has laid under an envelope or something for a long period of time? I'm wondering if the coin would details or not, and also if there is any point in doing conservation in an attempt to rid the line and the 'toning' around it. Near the top of the line it looks to be grey/green verdigris of some sort? 

I'm thinking that the grade is somewhere around AU55, possibly a bit lower or a bit higher, having compared it to known examples.

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

dans.jpg

dans1.jpg

Edited by Tobias J Reily

Eichstätt - Bishopric. Sede Vacante 2 Taler 1790-W, Nürnberg mint, KM95, Dav-2212, Gebert-106. 55.98gm. By Johann Peter Werner. The final Sede Vacante issue produced prior to the secularization of the bishopric.. Not actually a circulating coin but a commemorative medal 2 Thaleren weright. Your piece is EF.

Impossible to know how the line was caused. Some sort of contaminant. Perhaps a rubber band over time. 

I think it is a toss up as to whether it would details grade or not. I've seen worse in straight grade slabs and better in details grade slabs. Personally, I'd work on the coin. You should be able to even out the dark spots and likely remove the surface contaminants. 

I would also call the coin AU.