• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help ID this 62 Jefferson nickel "error".

7 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I just recently started searching boxes and I came across this fella today.  Not quite sure what to make of it and whether or not it would be worth a grading submission.  I cant even describe the what's going on with it other than it almost looks like ripples.  It's on both the obverse and reverse.  Any insight is appreciated

PICA0008.jpg

PICA0021.jpg

PICA0001.jpg

PICA0003.jpg

Welcome to the forum.  You can use the attached infographic to help distinguish between true die or hub doubling and the less valuable deterioration or machine doubling, which is what you have with that coin.

Error - Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

Welcome Forum.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Welcome Wasaki , I agree with JT2 and Greenstang just a worn out die. I will say your scope takes very good pictures and it will more than likely make you think you have something when you don't. I roll hunt coins all the time and I use a scope also but only to enlarge the coin for my old eyes. That way I can see more coins in a shorter time span than I can with a loupe. I search on average 200 to 300 at a time.  I spend about 3 seconds per side on a clean coin, junk coins less time and then I move on. If there is not a eye catcher I go on to the next coin. Also learning the key dates of coins to look for will save you a lot of grief. If it is not something that is collectable to someone it is just a spender. Good luck hunting (thumbsu  

Edited by J P M

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The wrinkled surface on coins struck by these worn dies is sometimes referred to as the "orange peel" effect.  Such coins are quite common, carry no premium, and will not be attributed by grading services such as NGC.  As an NGC administrator stated in response to an inquiry on the "Ask NGC/NCS" forum yesterday:

"I would like to share that NGC does not attribute as varieties coins that display Strike Doubling, Abrasion Doubling, Die Deterioration Doubling, Master Die Doubling (doubling that is found on all coins made produced from that master die), insignificant die chips, breaks, cracks or any variety coin that falls under mint tolerances for doubling or normal die wear. Additionally, with few exceptions, NGC will not attribute die varieties that require greater than 5x magnification to be clearly recognizable."