• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake Morgan 1921 with CC mark

11 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your "coin" is, of course, a counterfeit and a rather obvious and ludicrous one at that.  As you recognized in your earlier post, there is no such thing as a 1921-CC Morgan dollar, the Carson City mint having ceased operations in 1893. You also noted that the "coin" was significantly underweight.  Note also the grainy surface, weakness at the center of the obverse and odd color.  To an experienced collector, it looks nothing like any genuine Morgan dollar!  For example, the reverse of a 1921 Morgan dollar has the top arrow feather parallel to the others, not slanted upward as on this coin.  (The 1921 obverse and reverse designs have unique details, the original artwork having been destroyed in 1910 and recreated for the 1921 issue by an elderly George T. Morgan, who had designed the original coin in 1878.) The obverse was modeled from a 1921 issue, the reverse from a coin with a large "CC" mintmark of the style issued from 1879-1893.

This concoction is likely of recent Chinese origin.  I understand that Chinese law does not prohibit the manufacture of "replicas" based on any foreign coins or even of Chinese coins issued before 1949.  Large quantities of fakes of varying qualities are being manufactured and exported from China.  They have been showing up in the United States in increasing numbers over the past 15 or so years.

Thanks for the info, looked fake to me because of the date but overall I would have been fooled if there was no mintmark. The coin weighs 24grn so it was close. 

Per the Coin World Almanac, a U.S. silver dollar issued from 1840 through 1935 has an official weight of 26.73 grams with a legal tolerance of only 0.097 gram. A piece that is over 2 grams underweight isn't "close" at all.  

I've been collecting coins for about 53 years now and have never owned a scale for weighing coins.  I've found it more important to learn what genuine pieces of various types and issues look like in detail.  Here are photos of a genuine uncirculated 1921 Morgan dollar graded MS 64 by NGC. Note the differences from your crude counterfeit in fine details, surface texture and luster on the obverse and the substantial differences in design details, including the parallel top arrow feather, on the reverse.

1209007081_1921Morgandollarobv..jpg.e93833c54e212ae223d54ca2606fa5a5.jpg

1614501660_1921Morgandollarrev..jpg.371db51b56f9b792ecaf9a125138820d.jpg

The Chinese are absolutely flooding the market with these. I don’t feel safe ordering any Morgan raw coin at this point. I will only by graded coins for this reason.

On 3/21/2023 at 12:27 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

The Chinese are absolutely flooding the market with these. I don’t feel safe ordering any Morgan raw coin at this point. I will only by graded coins for this reason.

I only buy from trusted sources like APMEX etc. After getting burned on Ebay with some 2020 fakes.

On 3/20/2023 at 10:51 PM, Sandon said:

Per the Coin World Almanac, a U.S. silver dollar issued from 1840 through 1935 has an official weight of 26.73 grams with a legal tolerance of only 0.097 gram. A piece that is over 2 grams underweight isn't "close" at all.  

I've been collecting coins for about 53 years now and have never owned a scale for weighing coins.  I've found it more important to learn what genuine pieces of various types and issues look like in detail.  Here are photos of a genuine uncirculated 1921 Morgan dollar graded MS 64 by NGC. Note the differences from your crude counterfeit in fine details, surface texture and luster on the obverse and the substantial differences in design details, including the parallel top arrow feather, on the reverse.

1209007081_1921Morgandollarobv..jpg.e93833c54e212ae223d54ca2606fa5a5.jpg

1614501660_1921Morgandollarrev..jpg.371db51b56f9b792ecaf9a125138820d.jpg

I was at my son's house and couldn't compare to the many morgan's in my own safe that I have had for more than 30 years. I knew it was fake when I saw the CC on a 1921. Just posted it to see if anyone else had run into one like it.

Edited by Paul T.
spelling

A 1921 CC Morgan.....bwhahahahaha!!!!!! xD    I have an ocean front luxury estate in Malibu that I am selling for $100 too.....

Edited by powermad5000

On 3/25/2023 at 1:14 AM, powermad5000 said:

A 1921 CC Morgan.....bwhahahahaha!!!!!! xD    I have an ocean front luxury estate in Malibu that I am selling for $100 too.....

I didn't buy it and it was given to my son so no loss or fools here.

I did not mean for my post to come across that way, Paul. I meant it as just the mention of that date and mintmark together puts it into fantasyland right away. 

On 3/25/2023 at 1:59 PM, powermad5000 said:

I did not mean for my post to come across that way, Paul. I meant it as just the mention of that date and mintmark together puts it into fantasyland right away. 

That's OK I didn't take it wrong LOL just thought it was a fake right from the start. Before I flipped it over to check the mint mark the color looked off to me. I'm not a big collector so I wanted to see how many here had seen one of these fakes.