• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penny modification/stamp?

4 posts in this topic

Hi folks, 

I have another modified penny to ask about. This is from my Granddad’s collection and he was a Mason. 

1. Does anyone know of other examples of this? My preliminary search didn’t show anything…Maybe someone can suggest a search term for me?
  2.  Is this a type of award/token/prize given at meetings (or something similar)?
  3. Or maybe this was created by a Masonic artist who just really loves freemasonry?
  4.  How in the world did they create a raised impression without marking the back? Or is that why the triangle shaped piece is missing?
  5.  Is Masonic (or insert other club/fraternity/team here) a sub-category of penny collecting?
  6. Is this worth anything above face value? (I’m not selling any of his coins. I’m just curious. His collection is priceless to me.)

Thank you in advance! You all were so helpful with my last question!

D075AF0B-2B30-42EB-AA80-6C2923129335.jpeg

83476AD3-8E66-4EE3-B597-7BAEF5957693.jpeg

Yes, it is a Masonic counterstamp. There are many versions of these out there.

There is no real value to them although someone who collects counterstamps
may pay a couple of dollars for one.  
Too create the raised impression, the stamp would have a reverse impression much
like a coin die and when stamped into the coin would give that raised impression.

Edited by Greenstang