• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re gradeing

16 posts in this topic

I have a coin graded by ANACS. I want to send it in and get it graded by NGC. Is that possible???

Edited by Chad 64
Miss spelled word

yes ....  you can either have them crack it out or you can do it...   you will have to tell them that you want it graded no matter what.  because sometimes they will be returned "details"  if there is an issue.

Read the submission form and its instructions carefully. As I recall, if NGC removes the coin from its existing holder, the submitter assumes the risk of damage to the coin. If you remove it, you could damage it.  

On 3/11/2023 at 1:23 PM, Sandon said:

l, if NGC removes the coin from its existing holder, the

yes the submitter inherits all of the risks 

On 3/11/2023 at 1:16 PM, Coinbuf said:

I would (if you haven't already) check the completed sales on Ebay for 69 and 70 graded coins.  I don't follow the series but it might be more valuable in the ANACS 70 holder than in an NGC 69.

On 3/11/2023 at 1:54 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I would leave well enough alone with ANACS. Th

Mr. Bill is right there isnt very much meat on the bones to justify the crossover

I have done tests on ICG coins to see if they carry over crossover grading (they do not). I agree with the others in that it is possible the NGC grading standards are a little more stringent than ANACS. Most buyers on eBay just see MS 70 and pay accordingly regardless of the TPG. There is probably a good chance that it might return as MS 69 from NGC and then not only does the marketplace value drop, but you essentially lost money resubmitting it to another TPG.

If you ever are to have to take a coin out of a sealed holder, I do not prefer when people use the term "cracking" it out. Being if you sent it to NGC for them to open it, you still are running the risk of damage to the coin so I would want to be the one in control of that situation as I did in my ICG tests. You are guaranteed to damage the coin by cracking the holder. Or taking a hammer to it. Or trying to pry it open with a screwdriver. The method I employed which worked wonderfully and posed very little risk to the coin inside was to put the holder into a vise and clamp it snugly (not to the point where it is breaking the sides of the holder but just so it is snug). I then used a bandsaw (a hacksaw by hand using a slow controlled motion will also work but DO NOT use a sawzall!!!!!) to cut only the farthest edge of the holder. I repeated this process on all four sides. Still clamped in the vise, I brushed all the plastic bits away from the outside. Next, I took the cut holder out of the vise and moved it to a clean area where I put the cut holder on a microfiber cloth and carefully opened it with my fingers (all the seals are gone once you cut all four sides off so be careful not to drop it or let it slide apart as damage will occur). Using another microfiber cloth with the 2X2 submission flip set on it (set the flip to receive the coin into one of the pockets in the flip) next to the opened holder, I carefully pulled the insert out and moved it over the 2x2 flip (hold the insert over the flip as close as possible), and gently bent the insert and let the coin fall out of the insert and onto the 2X2 flip. I then carefully used the edge of a second 2x2 flip on the rim of the coin to move the coin into the 2X2 submission flip. In this way, I never actually touched the coin inside the cut holder and controlled the movement of the coin once released from the insert so there would be no scratching of the surface. I did this on 5 proofs and using extreme care, I did zero damage to the proofs and also never touched even the rim of the coins.

How you proceed from here is up to you, but I again say I agree with the others and I don't see any real advantage to you sending it to another TPG as I think you will end up losing more money than you think.....some on the shipping and grading fee and also on the coin itself should it return graded as lesser than it left the ANACS holder.

If the coin in question were newer, I’d give it a go, but a 1986? No way. 

On 3/11/2023 at 1:54 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I would leave well enough alone with ANACS. They seem to carry plenty of value on EBay. This difference that you may or may not gain does not justify the expense of grading, shipping etc.

@Chad 64Mr.Bill collects and bids on many ASE's, and I agree with his advice as a fellow ASE collector.  The possibility of loosing the MS70 grade just isn't worth the risk imo.  When you go down to an MS69 the value drops like a rock, even with NGC or the other big boy.

Some examples of sold coins (not listings) from eBay to consider follow ...

ANACS Example 1

ANACS Example 2

ANACS Example 3

NGC Example 1

NGC Example 2

NGC Example 3

Edited by EagleRJO