• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts about this 1964 D Quarter. Die gouge or something else?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

So I have run across a 64 D with an odd area.  Appears to be a perfect line almost text width as though it should be there.  Is this a die gouge?  What kind of error is this?  As you can see it runs between the D and S and back through the T.  Obv and rev on following post. Appreciate everyones time.

image.jpeg.e60113246164dbb34db68327e6d5759b.jpeg

Edited by Lost in the Groove

Maybe it’s my screen but these pictures come across as WAAAAY too light. (Overexposed)

On 3/9/2023 at 1:19 PM, VKurtB said:

Maybe it’s my screen but these pictures come across as WAAAAY too light. (Overexposed)

Hello sir.  I took them outside because I couldnt get a good capture with my lighting in my house.  So they are def pretty bright.  I will try to get further ones to post as well.  Can you not see them at all? as in way over saturated, I am able to see them.  Just curious.  Thanks for the reply.  Hope you have a great day!

On 3/9/2023 at 12:23 PM, Lost in the Groove said:

Hello sir.  I took them outside because I couldnt get a good capture with my lighting in my house.  So they are def pretty bright.  I will try to get further ones to post as well.  Can you not see them at all? as in way over saturated, I am able to see them.  Just curious.  Thanks for the reply.  Hope you have a great day!

I’m trying to adjust my screen to compensate. 

On 3/9/2023 at 1:24 PM, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forum, from the photos the line appears to be raised so a die gouge is very likely the culprit.   While this is a mint error it is minor and not very dramatic, so it may not even be something that NGC or PCGS would even note on a slab label, or only as minor error if they did.

Thank you for the information sir.  Much appreciated!

On 3/9/2023 at 1:19 PM, VKurtB said:

Must have been using an iPhone Kurt.........

On 3/9/2023 at 12:30 PM, GBrad said:

Must have been using an iPhone Kurt.........

Absolutely. 

On 3/9/2023 at 11:25 AM, Lost in the Groove said:

Thank you for the information sir.  Much appreciated!

Keep in mind that I cannot say for sure from the photos that it is raised only that it appears to be, if it is actually incuse (cut into the surface of the coin) then the chances are it is just simple damage.   If you run a toothpick across the line and it falls in a groove then assume damage, if the toothpick rises up over the line like a mound then some damage to the die like a die gouge is the most likely answer.

On 3/9/2023 at 1:24 PM, Coinbuf said:

the photos the line appears to be raised so a die gouge is very likely the culprit.

Yup, I concur Coinbuf.  I actually took some time and sent one of our forum member's pictures, being a similar type of issue on the reverse of their coin, to a well known numismatic individual.  It was of their professional opinion, in their reply to me, that the marks were simply a result of:  "semicircular die dents or die gouges of unknown origin." 

It is raised.  Such a uniform line is what caught my eye. I really appreciate everyone's input on this.  I am definitely going to look at every 64 D that I come across from now on to see if I can find another. Haha. Chances are slim I would imagine.

Edited by Lost in the Groove

Welcome to the forum @Lost in the Groove.  Good post and a very valid question you asked, thank you.  That's why the experienced members are here on this forum donating their time; we enjoy helping others answer worthy coin questions.  However, I think it is safe to say that we really enjoy and appreciate, even more so, when a new member is courteous, polite, and thankful as you have been regarding the given assistance of the professional numismatists here on the forum.  Good luck and happy hunting.  

@Lost in the Groovewelcome to the forum!  When taking pics of coins outdoor lighting often gives it that washed out appearance.  The recommended lighting for grading and evaluating coins is a single 75W to 100W incandescent bulb in a bell style housing, with my preference being 100W.  That lighting also works very well for pictures if kept at an angle to reduce glare.

[In order to get the 100W incandescent bulbs you have to PM @VKurtB to get an address where you can mail the needed cash, and 5-6 days later he will mail out a plain brown paper wrapped box with your bulbs and no return address ... jk (:]

About the coin, you indicated the mark is raised above the coin surface, and not incuse (sunken below the coin surface).  This is usually evaluated by simply holding the coin at an angle with the noted lighting and good magnification.

It is a somewhat unusual place for a die gouge, but gouges do not always occur in the middle of the coin, and since the mark is raised it would almost certainly be a die gouge.  That would be a minor mint error, and not of significant value.  I would still keep it and put it in a 2x2 vinyl flip with a paper tag on one side with info about the coin and error, then put that in a box marked Minor Mint Errors.

https://www.error-ref.com/die-gouges/

On 3/9/2023 at 1:36 PM, Coinbuf said:

If you run a toothpick across the line and it falls in a groove then assume damage, if the toothpick rises up over the line like a mound then some damage to the die like a die gouge is the most likely answer.

Please don't do this as you could inadvertently scratch the coin if you are not very careful with a light touch, which is implied by Coinbuf but just not stated.  I wouldn't go anywhere near a coin with a toothpick, but that's just my preference.

Welcome Forum.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

If it were a proof or high grade uncirculated coin, I would agree not to use a toothpick but, on a circulated '64 Washington, I don't think it will hurt the coin's value, if it shows up at all.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Being as you say the line is raised, that would be caused by a minor die gouge and is technically a mint error. Just as an FYI, though, if you were to submit the coin for grading as a mint error, I am fairly certain that NGC say would return the coin graded normally and the explanation from them would be "too minor". I have submitted several coins with much larger imperfections and have had them return graded as a normal coin with the "too minor" declaration. It would be unknown how many more coins were struck from the same dies before the mint found that and changed out the dies, so there may be more, but it would be difficult to determine the actual number.

Good catch though! Keep it as a conversation piece.