• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1992 D Mintmark with Double Die Obverse?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I hope I can rejoice that I've found something this time. This 1992 shows what looks tome like a DDO.. After spending the entire weekend and Monday looking for examples, the closest I found was the screenshot below. image.png.e77754e1ef8ce2d49a257e966c108d2f.png

Now, the coin I have is almost exactly the same, minus the abbrasion doubling seen around the 9 and the 2 in the above image. The next set of images will be the coin I found while roll hunting. It has the same line down the middle of all the numbers and letters except for the D mintmark.

here are my photos:-

WIN_20230306_22_08_43_Pro.jpg.0fe3ded7df38315792df5beefd1de13c.jpgWIN_20230306_22_08_51_Pro.jpg.bcb766ad1828bdc7ad62ff1a419e7426.jpgWIN_20230306_20_51_33_Pro.jpg.a4ca805d571a143c3f81093b31a17ffc.jpgWIN_20230306_20_51_42_Pro.jpg.ca7b3eec834b405bafd24abe815ed0bc.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Wayne T.  This looks to me like worn out dies.  the letters start to get that flat almost like a sliding motion to them.  keep hunting  they are still out there!!

Where did you get the screenshot in your OP?   Was it from a known and reputable source or just some guy on fakebook?  I am asking these questions because we cannot discuss or compare your coin with the photo you supplied if we have no idea where you got the photo from or the validity of what it is.  In the future provide a link to your example coin if it comes from a reputable site, I will not click on links to FB, Twitter, or the like.   Or in leu of a link provide the source of the example.   Variety Vista has no listing for any DDO for 1992-D, and while Wexler has one listed it looks nothing like either the photo you copied or the one you found.   Both your coin and the one in the top photo look like die erosion as the others have said.

Do you know what a doubled die is?  I am not asking that to be snarky or rude but it seems a valid question given what you have posted in this and prior threads.   If you do not know what to look for it is nearly impossible for you to identify something, it seems that you are looking for the Titanic by digging in the desert.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 3/7/2023 at 8:50 AM, Coinbuf said:

Where did you get the screenshot in your OP?   Was it from a known and reputable source or just some guy on fakebook?  I am asking these questions because we cannot discuss or compare your coin with the photo you supplied if we have no idea where you got the photo from or the validity of what it is.  In the future provide a link to your example coin if it comes from a reputable site, I will not click on links to FB, Twitter, or the like.   Or in leu of a link provide the source of the example.   Variety Vista has no listing for any DDO for 1992-D, and while Wexler has one listed it looks nothing like either the photo you copied or the one you found.   Both your coin and the one in the top photo look like die erosion as the others have said.

Do you know what a doubled die is?  I am not asking that to be snarky or rude but it seems a valid question given what you have posted in this and prior threads.   If you do not know what to look for it is nearly impossible for you to identify something, it seems that you are looking for the Titanic by digging in the desert.

The example I am cross referencing can be found on the PCGS website here https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/item/1992-d-1c-rd/3101/7033467905972502349

I'm not seeing a DDO either.  For the future see this topic which has info on DDO's as well as an infographic on doubling that will likely be helpful in your future coin endeavors.

I have been coin collecting and plugging away at roll hunting for a while, and decent errors really are once in a blue moon.

Always bear in mind that on a doubled die coin the two images are crisp and approximately the same depth. If the secondary image is distinctly shallower than the primary image, it is some lesser form of doubling, such as strike doubling (distinct but shallow secondary image) or, as here, die deterioration doubling (faint or "ghostly" secondary image). The 1972 doubled die obverse cent (Redbook variety, FS 101) that I'm going to show is a good example, although there are many less prominent doubled dies where the doubling is much closer together and/or only shows on some of the letters, numbers, or other features.

2121120254_1972DDcentobv..thumb.jpg.9c5775ef89576682bd8bf39ec59eb2a8.jpg