• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Balboa Dime Planchet Error

5 posts in this topic

I was at the pawn shop a few months back and picked this 1/10th balboa out of the bargain bin on the presumption that it was silver.   The coin is off weight upon revisiting it, with it being 2.8g and the correct weight being 2.5g.

When I first saw it, I thought somebody hit a Panamanian quarter with a ball peen.  But it's not silver at all!  I don't think it's even zinc.  It's weight feels more like steel or some sort of aluminum alloy.

Maybe somebody dropped something that wasn't even a planchet into the feeder?  It clearly says ley 900.  No idea.

20230306_163734.jpg

20230306_163714.jpg

20230306_163850.jpg

20230306_163844.jpg

• Administrator

Hello @Karoot

Thank you for reaching out to us. Unfortunately, we cannot identify or authenticate coins via photos, this would require submission and evaluation by the grading team. 

If there is anything else we can assist with, please let us know. 

Regards, 

Do I have to call on the submission form the planchet that it was struck on?  Research reveals that the US mint made hundreds of different coinage for many different countries at the time.

• Administrator

Hello @Karoot, you can make a mention of it in the comments section of the submission form if you'd like. Our grading team will likely be able to tell, but if you'd like to make mention of it anyway, absolutely feel free to!

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Does anyone else think this looks wrong, it looks cast to me. I wouldn't send it in without more information other than it weighs too much. How does it compare dimensionally? How do the design elements look when comparted to an authentic coin? Etc.. I don't like the look of this one.

The reading looks like it has a seem running through it and appears bulged out in some of the images, the details look mushy and wrong, the rim appears significantly within the outer diameter making me think this would measure considerably larger than an original, and one thing is typically consistent with wrong planchet errors, the wrong planchet is typically smaller, or the same size, than the correct planchet. How would an oversized planchet fit through the feeder tube, in the feeder finger and/or in the collar? 

I'm not an error expert but I would at least address these question on my own before sending this in. The only error I can think of that would MAYBE apply to this coin is an assisted error but my guess is that this would come back body bagged an not authentic.