• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1910 Chinese 10 cent coin, should I get it graded and how much I should personally evaluate coin value.

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, somewhat new to coin collecting here. 

I recived this coin from an auction I had won and was thinking about getting it graded with NGC. It has a bunch of info on the coin holder it is currently in but it is not certified and whated to get it done. I have done some research on the coin and how much it could be priced and how much it sold for at auction recently. PCGS Asia had info on a sale in auction for this coin at 52k but the website prices it at 102k. I have also found a coin like this that sold for only 11k but it was considered bent. Would the coin being bent reduce the value that dramatically?

https://www.pcgsasia.com/valueview/index?l=zh-CHT&cid=4649&specno=161361&c=AUD

Mainly, I wanted to see what you all think and if I should assess its value that high for when I have it graded as it will cost 1k assessing it at 50k and 2k assesing it at 100k through NGC? What do you all think? Should I bite the bullet and get it graded? What if it turns out to be a counterfeit, Will I be out 1-2k at the end of this if it is?

20230305_202043.jpg

20230305_202053.jpg

Welcome to the forum.  That is a pretty valuable coin if authentic, and in very good shape.  It's hard to evaluate with pics that get blurry when you zoom in, but that should really be done with the coin in-hand anyway.  PCGS has guide values that are a little more than NGC, but that is typically the case.

https://www.pcgs.com/valueview/10c-1907-1911/1910-landm-27-k-222/4649?sn=161361&g=0&h=coinfacts

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/china-empire-10-cents-k-222-1910-cuid-1046110-duid-1287880

With the potential value of that coin it would definitely be worth it to submit it for grading.  This will also determine the authenticity of the coin, increase the resale value, make it easier to sell, as well as critically help protect the coin from damage as they will put it in a hard plastic holder if authentic.

If it is a counterfeit NGC will simply return the coin in a flip without putting it in a holder, and wouldn't you want to know if it's a counterfeit anyway.  Do you want a coin in your collection where you would never know if it was authentic.  I would submit the coin and then post the results here as it is very educational to view a coin and then see how a TPG evaluates that coin.

Also, when posting coins on the forum it is helpful to zoom in a little and crop the pictures close to the coin like the attached.  I also rotated it a little with a basic app so that it was correctly aligned, which helps when evaluating a coin, like comparing it to a PCGS CoinFacts example like the attached.

Welcome Forum.jpg

1910 Chinese 10 Cent Obv.jpg

1910 Chinese 10 Cent Rev.jpg

1910 Chinese 10C PCGS MS63+.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Authentication absolutely required. These adjusted photos might help a little:

Image1.thumb.jpg.63dfa5480170f42cf702950f7b443e63.jpg

Image3.thumb.jpg.1496d5f0672255b1bb7a8a3e74dee31b.jpg

On 3/6/2023 at 12:28 PM, RWB said:

Authentication absolutely required. These adjusted photos might help a little:

Image1.thumb.jpg.63dfa5480170f42cf702950f7b443e63.jpg

Image3.thumb.jpg.1496d5f0672255b1bb7a8a3e74dee31b.jpg

That coin needs to be well taken care of. Don’t be Dragon it around all over the place. 

I hope I am wrong, but I don't think the OP's coin is genuine. I see what appear to be slight differences in several areas. 

OP, if you do get it authenticated, please post the results. This is one case where I would really like to be wrong.

It does not appear genuine.

If you want to send in something like this, send it in under economy. If it turns out real and worth 100K, the TPG will adjust the submission fee accordingly. 

On 3/10/2023 at 1:46 AM, Just Bob said:

... I don't think the OP's coin is genuine. I see what appear to be slight differences in several areas.

Even though the pics are blurry I do see what appears to be some variations.  But do you know if China was using master hubs and dies with little variation like in the US at that time.  Or perhaps like the Spanish Royal Mint circa 1910 which used standardized individual die punches where there could still be some variations.  I don't know much about the minting process in China at that time, but my guess would be more on par, or behind, the Spanish Royal mint.

Edited by EagleRJO

Just my opinion...

I would look into sending any coin that I was wanting to keep even if it was less than genuine to ICG. They will slab counterfeits in a slab with a special label. I would then keep it in plain view to remind me that I should not be buying expensive coins that I know little or nothing about.

Again, just my opinion

Edited by Moxie15