• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake or real
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I bought this coin that was on the end of a wheat pennies roll I believe that it is fake just looking for some verification. Because I can return it i believe.. the seller says he buys the coins from a  Reputable company. What are your thoughts 🤔 

Picture_20234103084155.jpg

Picture_20234103084136.jpg

Picture_20232603082620.jpg

Picture_20232503082504.jpg

20230303_200943.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this is a counterfeit. I've never seen a genuine Flying Eagle cent with surfaces and weak details ("ONE CFNT"!) that looked like this. The color is wrong as well, although the weight (officially 4.67 grams) is as close as you can tell with a scale that only goes out one decimal point. You might want to keep it as a conversation piece, as most wheat cents are only worth a few cents each anyway.

I agree with Sandon that it's a counterfeit.  Not only is there a classic detail loss only in certain areas (e.g. eagles wing and One Cent), but the date is all wrong.  Look at the 8 in particular, which is misshapen and smaller than the 1.

1858 Large Letters Flying Eagle Cent Date.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

My thought is a struck counterfeit; however, your photos are not in sharp focus and that makes it more difficult to assess.   You need to find a copy of the Rick Snow books and see if this matches up to any of the snow varieties.   That will not confirm or deny authenticity as many struck counterfeits are produced using real coins.   But if it does match to any known snow variety that could provide an explanation for the weakly struck portions of the coin.

Also it would be helpful to know where and how much you bought this coin roll from, there are no Santa Claus's in numismatics.   If the price was "too good to be true" and from a site like etsy or ebay, then the chances are very high of a counterfeit.

Edited by Coinbuf

Thanks all of you for the help I'm just going to return it and let the person who sold it as real eat crow. But I would say likely just sell it again. 

Terrible fake. Mushy details with clean fields. The date numerals are all wrong as well as the shape of the lettering on both sides of the coin. Even the eagles breast feathers are misshapen. The eagles high wing fades into the field. The denticles are mush and just kind of fade into the fields. Whoever made this didn't even come close to the proper details. My photo is the reverse of an 1857 I submitted but the reverses were the same for both years. 

PXL_20211018_044250156~2.jpg

I really appreciate the help am sending coin back to the seller. He  apologized and said he was going to get authentication for it. I guess no one has ever caught him before.