• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good question on re-holdering came up on another forum

4 posts in this topic

Hi.  Somebody brought up a great question on another forum pertaining to the increasing number of fake coins, fake slabs, real coins in fake slabs, fake coins in real slabs and fakes in fake slabs.    Somebody questioned what would happen if somebody was able to successfully defeat a slab be it an NGC or PCGS and put a different coin into the slab?    Are people in the re-holdering department looking for this stuff and/or catching any of this?   Everybody is curious if people in this department are as qualified as the regulars in the grading room?   I would view the attempt as a criminal act but of course the person submitting could say they didn't know if they were just trying to sneak one through.    I think some would be very obvious with the slightest attention but some may not be so obvious.    Some of the fakes out there are apparently getting pretty good.        Maybe you guys discussed this and addressed it years ago?      Thanks.

• Administrator

Hello @Vess1

Thank you for your question. Our Receiving team is well-trained to recognize issues with the security of our holders and labels. Genuine holders are designed to leave tell-tale signs when cracked open and our labels have key security features to help identify when they are genuine. If there is any indication that the holder or label is not genuine or has been reused, the coin would not be eligible for a reholder. It is also important to note that when a coin is submitted for reholder, while not fully regraded, the coin will still be reviewed by a qualified grader. 

Collector confidence in NGC certification is a high priority. Our grading works diligently to have processes in place to recognize counterfeit NGC holders and labels and also actively seeks proactively remove them from the marketplace. See the security features of holders and labels here: NGC | Security Center.

If you have any other questions, please let us know. Have a good day! 

I am a participant in the other board mentioned above and frankly, I had chill bumps when I considered the impact of the criminal act proposed in that discussion and it left me with a follow up question if I may….. I have been fortunate and never have had any problems in my coin transactions. I always check the certification and have your app on my phone for exactly that purpose…. But if a label is “stolen” and copied, once you guys become aware of the deception, you note that on the certification page don’t you so that my app will tell me I am looking at a potential counterfeit?

• Administrator

Hello @Amberdumbie,

Thank you for reaching out. If a coin has been stolen, we have processes to report the theft and flag the coin's certification accordingly. If a certification number has been reported as compromised or duplicated, the verification page will prompt anyone looking to confirm the certification to reach out to us. 

If you are interested in reading more about counterfeit coin detection, you can check out this link: NGC | Counterfeit Detection

Thank you.