• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Commemoratives
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I wanted to ask two questions- first does anyone recognize these silver bullion rounds? I bought them because there are supposedly only 5000 of each that were made. These have their numbers inscribed in the edges. Apollo 11 50th anniversary commemoratives, .999 silver.

Second- can I get them graded and slabbed with NGC?

Thank you.

20230303_041849.jpg

Where are you getting your mintage numbers?  Hopefully not from the seller.  Per the US mint the mintage number is up to 400,000 for the various options, and I believe it would be considerably more than 5,000 for a single run.

https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/commemorative-coins/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-silver

Also, silver rounds would not be worth grading.  Just keep it in the OGP from the mint.

NGC will be happy to take your money to slab just about anything. These fall under the vast array of Mint marketing gimmicks that I turned away from long ago when they started toying with the ASE's. Proofs, SMS's, and Mint Sets were one thing, but it is out of hand now. I would not spend my money on slabbing these.

Eagle, TRADITIONAL commemoratives appreciated in value because they commemorated important items -- like assasinated President McKinley or Centenniels or other anniversaries -- and were often made of gold and/or silver.

MODERN commemoratives you should assume may fall to bullion or melt value over time and anything you pay above that is fair game to disappear.

Comemoratives somehow resisted the Coin Bear Market of the 1980's and actually appreciated somehow (or at least an index of them did) -- most of these were traditional commemoratives struck decades or a century ago.  They soared and many people have been hoping lightning would strike twice.

FWIW, I actually like the Augustus Saint-Gaudens National Parks commemoratives which have some of his patterns in silver (and gold, which I haven't bought xD)( and often sell for steep premiums to bullion silver (less so for gold).

Edited by GoldFinger1969