• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Needbsome opinions

18 posts in this topic

It does look a little like an upside down 2, but the font may be wrong for that coin ... its hard to tell with just that one pic..  Also, copper is a very soft metal and can be pushed around by hits very easily, and there do appear to be hits and shelf doubling on the coin.  It could also be a legit error if the lettering was hand punched, but I don't believe that is the case.

Posting pics of the full obverse and reverse of the coin would be helpful in further evaluating that coin.

Mirrored 2 B.jpg

It would be helpful if you posted pics of both sides of the coin so a better evaluation could be made. If we knew the year of this coin, that may be the standard shape used for the S in TRUST the year the coin was made, and I would already be leaning heavily toward that.

Thanks for the updated pics!

I will let the others who know more than me tell me I am wrong, but I looked up some examples of a 1985 Lincoln Memorial Reverse and what I notice in those photos is that the strikes were early die stage and that the lettering in the motto was further from the rim than on your example. What I note on your coin is the letters in the motto are closer to the rim than normal, I note the pressure ridge from the strike is pronounced and runs through the letters, and that there is minor mechanical doubling in some letters on your coin suggesting it was struck with late stage dies. All those factors combined can make the metal flow from the strike do things it normally would not in the case of new or early stage dies. My guess is with the position of the strike and the wear of the dies not fully controlling the metal flow, that the top of the S in question "flattened out" making it appear like an upside down 2.

Wow thats awesome thank you for that break down. It's so amazing how technical all this stuff is. So with all that said in your opinion is this something worth grading or worth any value? I know generally this is common. Like die cracks for example I have about 30 or so coins with die cracks since those are common I am assuming the value in them are low just like this example. Thank you for your input I am extremely grateful for you taking time out of your day to help me with this. 

I've seen many earlier (c. 1983-89) copper plated zinc Lincoln cents that had this sort of bulge around the rims of either or both sides. Obviously, it was caused by the dies sinking in these areas from the stresses of striking coins.  This phenomenon, as well as plating bubbles, are indicative of the mint's and its suppliers' unfamiliarity with how to manufacture these coins and their planchets. Ultimately, practice made better, if still not perfect.

These pieces are not desirable, rare nor valuable. They are only worth face value.  You definitely don't want to submit them to a grading service!

For a summary of the types of errors and varieties that NGC will--and won't--attribute, see Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com) .

So how do you know what coins are with grading. I have a few coins that look uncerculated very clean and shiny no errors are coins like that worth sending for grading? Sorry for all the questions just want to be a sponge and learn as much as I can since I am new to all this

On 2/28/2023 at 3:02 PM, Elithenewguy said:

So how do you know what coins are with grading. I have a few coins that look uncerculated very clean and shiny no errors are coins like that worth sending for grading? Sorry for all the questions just want to be a sponge and learn as much as I can since I am new to all this

"Clean and Shinny" means nothing, especially with modern coins, grading is all about the surface preservation quality of strike, and eye appeal.   That is something that you learn over many years not something I can tell you in a few short sentences.   You have to do the work to learn, go to shows and look at hundreds and hundreds of coins of varying grades to get a feel for what the TPG's are looking for.   Taking a grading class from the ANA is another great way to learn how to distinguish between "shinny" and true luster.   And even then you can still be surprised now and then, my last two submissions to NGC were good overall but I still whiffed on one coin.   Grading is not a science but more an art form that evolves over time.

It is extremely unlikely that you will ever find a coin in change that would be worth submitting to a third-party grading service! This is generally for coins worth several hundred dollars or more due to their rarity or extremely high grade (not just "uncirculated", assuming that yours are.). Other coins can be collected and enjoyed in coin albums or other types of inexpensive protective holders.

Coin collecting, like coins themselves, goes back several thousand years. Grading services that encapsulate coins in bulky, hard plastic holders with their opinions of grade and authenticity for a hefty fee have only existed since 1986.  New collectors like you need to learn how to grade and otherwise evaluate coins for yourselves before  even thinking about submitting coins to grading services. The following topic suggests some of the print and online resources that you will need to begin the learning process:

You should also attend coin shows in your area and consider joining a local coin club, where you can see what rare coins, including significant errors and varieties, actually look like.

On 2/28/2023 at 6:24 PM, Elithenewguy said:

Than you for all your advice its very humbling to hear. I have up most respect for all of you and am very appreciative for all your advice and look forward to learning more about this hobby.

If you stick around reading topics as they come up and posting coins you have questions about you will learn quite a lot about coins and errors, and of course the references in the topic Sandon linked above are invaluable for a newer collector.

I have been collecting for 45+ years and I am just starting to get into a higher level of learning. There is always something to learn and don't ever think you finally know all there is to know about collecting coins. There are so many things to read and learn, it can be overwhelming at times. In your shoes, it is important to learn the basic things well. As you had mentioned, shiny and uncirculated are only a basis of quality, not an overall determining factor of value. Before you submit any coin at your level of knowledge, get the NGC Red Book, and also the Official American Numismatic Grading Standards books (the ANA book is in its 7th edition, but you can still find the 6th edition on eBay for less than $!0). Get used to self grading the details of coins, and get used to mintage values as they relate to overall rarity and value. Those two books as starters will give you a good basic overall sense of collecting and values. From there, you can continue to expand your knowledge. As always, reading these forums, and posting your coins with good quality photos along with your question on here will go a long way towards gaining knowledge as said by the others above.