• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1785 Bar Copper Holdering Question
1 1

2 posts in this topic

I own this Bar Copper that is holdered by NGC and is the top shelf coin in my collection.... It is holdered AU-Details with a tooled reverse. Makes no nevermind to me as I have no plans to sell. My question pertains to the tooled designation. When I see a coin noted as tooled, in my mind that coin has been deceptively manipulated. This bar copper has not been deceptively manipulated. It is apparent that in years past, somebody scratched grime from between the bars. A foolish action that is permanent, however not deceptive in my mind.... Does "Tooled" not refer to deceptive manipulation of a coin?

1114514685_BarCopper.thumb.jpg.5899d5b2aad21f3c123ee2943710620a.jpg

• Administrator

Hello @Aberdumbie, thank you for contacting NGC. NGC's definition of "tooled" refers to either the smoothing of a coin’s fields to remove scratches, corrosion and other forms of damage or to the restoration of lost details through the use of a graver or knife. As you mentioned, the definition doesn't necessarily mean that the intention was to be deceptive in any way from what our graders were able to tell.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!