• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 state quarter error question

9 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2023 at 3:53 PM, Coinbuf said:

My suggestion, lose the microscope and it will be easier to know if you find something interesting.   All that is needed is a 7X loupe, if more magnification is needed it is not something of value, just something that will have you chasing shadows.

I completely agree to put the microscope aside and just use a 7x to 10x loupe or magnifying glass (my choice per my grandfather).

When I first got a scope a while ago I was finding all kinds of things that sent me down rabbit holes, only to find out that even if there were errors (usually not) there almost certainly wouldn't be any extra value since it wasn't visible with no magnification (preferable) or a loupe.

Now the only time the scope comes out is to verify something I am seeing with the mag glass or to evaluate die markers.