• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1909-S and 1908-S Indian Cents.

6 posts in this topic

I see no indications from your photos that either of these coins is counterfeit or altered. The mint mark styles and positions appear to be correct for these issues. Nevertheless, there are numerous counterfeits and added mint marks for the 1909-S, and its value makes certification by a reputable grading service such as NGC, PCGS or ANACS advisable.

FYI, here are photos of the 1909-S from my collection, which I bought as a "Fine" in 1989 but which NGC graded XF 40 last year. Weakness in the feathers is considered a diagnostic of a genuine example.

1756233580_1909-SIndiancentobv..thumb.jpg.89295571d15c6c35feac0e0f3938b5a9.jpg2086388945_1909-SIndiancentrev..thumb.jpg.16c906625792aea69dfacc9e2aa7c60b.jpg

IMHO I do not see anything wrong with two coins you have. On the obverses, the placement and shape of the letters and dates all seem to be correct and in the proper places and on the reverses, the lettering also looks to be correct as well as the mintmark shape and position. I do not see the area around the mintmarks disturbed as would be in an altered mintmark. The wear looks appropriate for both sides of both coins and the denticles appear to be appropriate for the wear. Other than they may have been cleaned in the past, I am not seeing any issues with your two coins.  I can't see any of the typical counterfeiting mistakes that I have found on this series. I do not know if you have a scale but their weights should be 3.11 grams.

Good picks! I am still working on adding those to my collection if I could only stop getting distracted currently by Morgans and Peace dollars :whistle:

Here are genuine examples of each coin. 

1908-S - One of my favorites because it was the U.S. cent to be struck at a branch mint. 

1908-SIndianCentAll.thumb.jpg.c45edeccf2485a91a48bc457abc94038.jpg

1909-S Indian

1909-SIndianCentAll.thumb.jpg.b56df16d12fcb74254c8f8bb4c326c8e.jpg

Both coins are genuine and should be immediately sent to a third party grading service such as NGC for grading and encapsulation. Both coins have a high market value in ANY grade. Especially the 1909 S its worth $285.00 in PO1-AG3. Your 1909 S specimen looks to be about VF35 BN (weakness in feathers is as struck/normal and not usually wear) Wear on all high points. In VF35 BN your coin would be valued at $625.00 or more on the open market. 

Note:  I am well aware this is an "older" thread. 

If I may, I should like to make a single observation [which some may cite as inapplicable coming from a collector with limited familiarity with the series].

There is a noticeable difference in the six photos posted by the OP, as opposed to those posted by the respondents, as follows.

The OP's coins appear to look identical to some of the IHCs minted with a CuNi alloy in the early 1860's.  

The examples offered by the other members, in comparison, appear to give off an unmistakeable coppery glow.

This observation may mean something, or nothing at all. I offer the comment for what it's worth.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die-polishing.