• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do many wheat pennies have LBY on Lincolns chest?

40 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

Unfortunately, your photo is too unfocused for me to clearly discern the chest area. Try to provide a sharper image or a clear close-up of this area.  In all likelihood, the letters you see were stamped or engraved by someone after the coin left the mint.

I just researched and found out it is the engraver,designers,initials V is the first letter ,i was incorrect about that letter. Now how common is the error of the L on the edge of the 1955 no mint

Are you referring to the initials "V.D.B." on the truncation (underside) of Lincoln's bust near the shoulder? These initials, those of Victor David Brenner, the designer, have been included in the master dies for the coin since 1918.

The slight ghostly image at the left side of the "L" of "LIBERTY" is due to die wear. This is very common and adds no value.   (The "edge" would be the side of the coin.)  

Are you interested in learning about U.S. coins? We can guide you to the appropriate print and online resources.

The “L” in LIBERTY is close to the rim on all Lincoln’s up to 1969 when  the master die was reworked and moved away from the rim. It doesn’t take much wear for it to be almost touching. I don’t know why people selling on eBay or YouTube think this is an error when it is common.

On 2/18/2023 at 7:24 AM, AmerigoC said:

well,thank you for that information Greenstang. This coin was from my Grandfather who collected it was not in circulation. Heritage auctions already gave me a good appraisal  of 1200.00.

Welcome to the forum Amerigo. The photo you posted is not very sharp and the coin from what I can see is not a rare coin and it looks circulated may even have some scratches on the obverse. $1200.00 would be a rare perfect coin. 

On 2/18/2023 at 8:21 AM, AmerigoC said:

Thanks JPM it amazes me how it can vary what people say but I appreciate what you say. This was given to me by my grandpa who was an avid coin collector It was not a circulated coin.

Well there are some well seasoned numismatic collectors here. If you post photos' of the obverse and the reverse of your coins the members here with give you real honest opinions without any sugar on it.   

Your coin appears to be a normal 1955 Lincoln cent in Extremely Fine condition, which has a retail value of five cents per current Coin World Coin Values and ten cents per the NGC Price Guide.  You are no doubt thinking of the 1955 doubled die obverse cent, which shows all letters and numbers boldly and broadly doubled due to an error in the die making process and would retail for $1,300 or more in this condition.  It looks like this:

1955 DOUBLED DIE OBV 1C MS

@AmerigoC I have collected Lincoln cents for 40 years, I have several Lincoln cent registry sets including two number 1 sets.   The 1955 Lincoln cent you have posted is without question a circulated coin, everyone thinks their bampa is perfect and always right, that is simply untrue.   I am not saying this to disparage your grandfather, just stating the truth.

Edited by Coinbuf

Your coin has been heavily circulated. It was circulated befor your grandfather got it. Even though it sit for several years dosent mean it hasnt been circulated. All the high spots are worn down. Heres an example of an uncirculated cent. See the difference.1590957379_RoundPhoto_Feb182023_221047.thumb.png.cea6aef94b7113218ff055abf9390eec.png

Edited by Hoghead515

just bob,I can't locate it. it is a possibility I have it mixed up with another coin. It is interesting the L on the coin posted above is not on the rim,edge as the previous poster said they all will be at this date. I love coins. I was born in 66 my Grandpa as I stated was an avid collector. He didn't find it on the ground,this penny he gave me, regardless it is a keepsake. . But it was fun and informative chatting with you all. good luck and well wishes on the fun hobby of coin collecting. Peace out Amerigo Caravetta

There are so  many things to learn in this hobby Amerigo. You have come to a good place to find the truth. The L on your coin is in the same location as the other but the rim on your coin is worn and pushed closer to the L from circulation. I think it is a great coin your Grandfather gave you and I would save it. It is just not worth having it graded. Everyone here has had coins like your1955 in that condition and if they were worth $1200 we would all be rich.(thumbsu

On 2/19/2023 at 7:51 AM, AmerigoC said:

just bob,I can't locate it. it is a possibility I have it mixed up with another coin.

You definitely mixed up the coins as the one worth a lot is the 1955 DDO with very clear doubling of the lettering and the date, like the one Sandon posted.  The one originally posted is not the valuable 1955 DDO.

Your grandfather probably got it back in change years ago. They are very common. There were millions of them minted. I got one back in change yesterday from a store that sells curtains. Like JP said its just worn and the rim cas been pushed closer to the L. The 1956 I found yesterday is the same way. I wish they were worth $1200. Ive got a quart jar full of them in circulated condition. Ive got a few put up in plastic rolls that are uncirculated and several of them are red. Heres the one I found yesterday. Its only worth around face value same as the coin in the OP. Hard to tell from the lighting but the rim is actually touching the L on this one. Its due to heavy circulation. 1244764384_RoundPhoto_Feb192023_103204.thumb.png.c010b9985ce13c978fae814aa57cac04.png

Hoghead515 yikes, that looks very rough that penny you have .no my Grandpa would not give me a coin like that by that I mean like" here you go a penny for change". He was a very important man in Chicago his sister was married to Frank Nitti and my Grandpa Amerigo Caravetta was a successful business. man he wouldn't waste his time giving me a penny of little importance. He was an avid coin collector it was his only hobby. He was an amazing person.Thanks for your input though much appreciation. I enjoyed the information I think I will just keep my coins to myself and read the great information you have on here.Thank you

I do have one more question. Why can I see the artist name,initials, on Lincolns chest on my coin but not the one posted above  which is ,the uncirculated cent ,same year but mine does not have the mint mark under the date. Thanks

The VDB is very clear on the 1955 S uncirculated cent posted above, it is in the shadow of Lincoln's bust but is very visible.  I would suggest picking up a copy of Whitman's Redbook of US coins.  Quite inexpensive and full of great information for US coin collectors.  You can see for yourself that no one here is steering you wrong.  

On 2/19/2023 at 9:38 AM, AmerigoC said:

I do have one more question. Why can I see the artist name,initials, on Lincolns chest on my coin but not the one posted above  which is ,the uncirculated cent ,same year but mine does not have the mint mark under the date. Thanks

I have used the photo that @Hoghead515posted above, the area I have circled at the base of the bust near the rim is where the VDB is located on every Lincoln cent from 1916 onwards.   You have not provided a clear photo of the area you are talking about, however, as you continue to refer to the chest area I am assuming that your coin has some damage or perhaps someone in the past attempted to scratch their initials into the coin.   Again your coin is not uncirculated.

55.png

Heres a few of my better ones since you didnt like the one I found yesterday. They all have the VDB on them also. Its hard to see in bottom pic but I changed the light a little to help. My photography skills are not very good. 20230219_122709.thumb.jpg.a0752396f036751a774056d8b56185ad.jpgLumii_20230219_123355400.thumb.jpg.4edcbacde7b5c764ccb7ad1eec466c7c.jpg

On 2/19/2023 at 12:39 PM, AmerigoC said:

Oh my VBD is on his chest on the shirt of Lincoln. Let me take a new picture. hold on.

Then its probably damaged. People used to carve their initials and things in them years ago. 

On 2/19/2023 at 10:39 AM, AmerigoC said:

Oh my VBD is on his chest on the shirt of Lincoln. Let me take a new picture. hold on.

That is not the designer's initials, just some damage or as I said someone in the past attempted to scratch his or her own initials into the coin.   Copper is a soft metal and easily damaged while in circulation.

There are no initials on Lincoln's chest on your coin or any other Lincoln cent mad at the US Mint. After a coin leaves the Mint all kinds of things can happen -- but none of them are of any value or numismatic interest. If you can;t show the written quote from Heritage, then it does not exist as far as anyone else can know.

Just some facts. We return you now to Fox "News."

Haha you are funny RWB I just got  of the hospital from a brain tumor and the best medicine is laughter. I will continue to do as I please, and educate my self from reliable sources. I appreciate your humor. Enjoy your penny collecting RWB.