• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is This Goofy Thing

39 posts in this topic

I see an off center broadstrike. A legitimate error coin. I agree without the date, it is worth less than a dated example, but I would not diminish the value of this error to just give the coin away. There are niche mint error collectors that specialize in/only collect error coins and the more extreme the error the more they pay for it. I was able to view error coins this summer at a booth at the Worlds Fair of Money when it came to Chicago and the array of what he had for sale was astounding. I was not allowed by him to take pics, only to view. One of the most bizarre to me that he had was a Washington quarter struck on a Mexican Peso planchet (it was in an NGC holder). If I had your coin, even minus there being a date, I would submit it to NGC and have it slabbed. Its value would be whatever an error collector is willing to pay for it.

I always wondered if some of the mule errors were intentional. Get an employee at the mint who tosses a cent planchet or whichever they please while a different denomination is being struck. Then sit back and watch the web waiting for it to be found. Then seeing how much of a stir it makes. Seeing the TPGs grade it. Then seeing how many thousand dollars an unexpecting collector will pay thinking it found its way into the coin hopper by accident. Then get some kind of thrill knowing they was responsible for it. Im not exactly saying thats what happens but its sure crossed my mind. I can see an employee doing that on purpose to see what kinds of errors they can be responsible for and see if they end up bringing big money. I really cant wrap my head around the number of mules out there. You wouldnt think there would be that many if something like that wasnt going on. I could be wrong. 

On 2/15/2023 at 6:37 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m curious why you, or anyone else, would want this slabbed. Overslabbing is out of control.

I've stated in other posts I submit all of my coins to NGC for the purpose of most importantly a proper holder to protect the coin from any possible environmental or physical damage, and secondly to take away the question marks surrounding a coin as to what it really is as far as condition and in the case of errors, what caused the error. I am aware Kurt that you do not submit your coins, which is a personal choice you make for your collection and there is nothing wrong with that at all. I do feel, however, it is up to each collector to decide whether or not they want to submit their coins. I know NGC and PCGS have graded a high amount of coins, but compared to total mintage values of all coins since the US Mint was founded (and also if you include world coins, colonial, and ancients as well), it actually is only a very slight portion of the total minted, so I don't think there is an overslabbing issue.

Even on the error presented in this thread there are differing opinions as to what the exactness of the error is, and a proper grading would remove differing subjective points of view from the coin, providing an exact description of the coin for the OP who asked us what we thought about it. I simply gave my opinion as to what I would do with it. It is up to the OP to decide what they want to do with it.

On 2/15/2023 at 5:17 PM, powermad5000 said:

I see an off center broadstrike. A legitimate error coin. I agree without the date, it is worth less than a dated example, but I would not diminish the value of this error to just give the coin away. There are niche mint error collectors that specialize in/only collect error coins and the more extreme the error the more they pay for it

@powermad5000Excellent advice and well received. I appreciate you keeping focus on my original intent and offering an alternative yet voice-of-reason styled suggestion! Much appreciated

Edited by Dascher

On 2/15/2023 at 7:47 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

The use of "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" to inquire.

Genius

THANK YOU SIR! I was spooked I'd have been dishonorably discharged from here because of that.

On 2/15/2023 at 1:55 PM, VKurtB said:

I firmly believe that VERY MANY of errors are intentionally done by Mint personnel, and also a healthy number of “varieties” as well, such as the extra stuff in the window panes on the Nebraska ATB quarters. Ditto the extra leaves on the first Wisconsin state quarters. Fully intentional

Excellent point @VKurtB. In fact, didn't the U.S. Mint admit outright that the objectvive of the entire 2020 ATB "V75" privy mark and the 2019 "W" mint mark was rekindle interest in coin collecting?
If so (& IMHO), such blatant manipulation to artificially increase interest & demand numismatically usually backfires.

On 2/14/2023 at 7:31 PM, Sandon said:

If you're not interested in this off-center cent, consider giving it to a young collector.  That will be your thanks to us.

Perfect idea!!!! But at 50 years old, I'm the youngest collector I know, so if someone could offer me a deserving soul, it shall be done!