• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2011 James garfield gold $1 is this an error coin?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.   

This appears most likely to be post-mint damage (nicks), not a mint error. This could occur when the edge of the coin hit the mechanism in a vending machine or in a coin counting machine or in various other ways.   Another newer member has posted pictures that appear to show weak "extra stars" or other anomalies on c.2019 American Innovation dollars, but these have not been verified.  At this time, the only Presidential or later edge variants that are recognized and sought by collectors are coins with completely blank edges and coins with boldly doubled letters.

I do not collect the new dollar coins. I stopped after the Ike Dollar. This past week we have seen some questions on these coins. I can only think that someone has found one that has sold for a silly price and now every click on the internet is after the same coin ?  

On 2/12/2023 at 2:38 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.   

This appears most likely to be post-mint damage (nicks), not a mint error. This could occur when the edge of the coin hit the mechanism in a vending machine or in a coin counting machine or in various other ways.   Another newer member has posted pictures that appear to show weak "extra stars" or other anomalies on c.2019 American Innovation dollars, but these have not been verified.  At this time, the only Presidential or later edge variants that are recognized and sought by collectors are coins with completely blank edges and coins with boldly doubled letters.

Maybe this picture shows it better. 

20230212_153101~2.jpg

The photo's are good but the coin is not, Perhaps the coin slid in the die press but it looks like post mint damage. The metal has been pushed around you can see it on the edge. I do not think this would not be the case if it was in the striking of the coin.

Edited by J P M

Notice how metal is piled up around the anomalous shapes and not around the perfect stars and other elements on the edge. This is also indicative of nicks, scrapes, or similar post-mint damage.   I don't rule out some defect in the edge lettering equipment, but it doesn't appear to be clearly indicated.

That looks like post mint contact damage.

A while ago I started collecting modern dollar coins, and initially I was roll hunting circulated coins.  But I would routinely find edge contact damage like nicks, dings and gouges similar to what is on the op's coin.  Maybe not to the extent that coin is damaged, but similar in nature and I can see how a coin could occasionally end up like that.

The extent of the edge contact damage was so pervasive that I often was unable to readily read the year and mint mark, which was a death knell roll hunting those coins, particularly with an obscured mark.  So I switched to buying coins in a BU or PR grade from dealers or from the mint when available (like the attached).

By the way, for the 2016 PR set maybe it's just me but I think Nixon looks a little zombie like, with an eerie fog around him.  :insane:

2016-s-presidential-dollar-proof-set_96561_Slab (1).jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/12/2023 at 11:57 PM, EagleRJO said:

That looks like post mint contact damage.

A while ago I started collecting modern dollar coins, and initially I was roll hunting circulated coins.  But I would routinely find edge contact damage like nicks, dings and gouges similar to what is on the op's coin.  Maybe not to the extent that coin is damaged, but similar in nature and I can see how a coin could occasionally end up like that.

The extent of the edge contact damage was so pervasive that I often was unable to readily read the year and mint mark, which was a death knell roll hunting those coins, particularly with an obscured mark.  So I switched to buying coins in a BU or PR grade from dealers or from the mint when available (like the attached).

By the way, for the 2016 PR set maybe it's just me but I think Nixon looks a little zombie like, with an eerie fog around him.  :insane:

2016-s-presidential-dollar-proof-set_96561_Slab (1).jpg

Not just you.