• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could use some help submitting

12 posts in this topic

I have this 1975 D 1 cent with the designation of Gettysburg PA on it.  I cannot find any information on the coin. I don't know how to fill out papers for submission. It is not listed as a variety. I could use some help with how to fill out the paperwork, so it gets the proper designation on the holder. It seems like it may be a bit rare, I cannot find anything on it.  Is it even an official coin or something a local made up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thak You. 20230210_152033.thumb.jpg.2ff935f69aba3ee2d6834868b5b4a087.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your 1975-D Lincoln cent was counterstamped by a private company for sale as a souvenir or novelty, probably near Gettysburg National Military Park. Such items were frequently sold at places frequented by tourists during the 1970s, when I would see them in gift shops while on vacation with my parents. As the coin was altered after it was issued by the U.S. Mint, it would not be numerically graded by NGC and should not be submitted, as it would cost you $30 or more in grading and processing fees and shipping costs, and it has little or no value to collectors.  It's just an interesting keepsake.

It is just a normal cent that someone counterstamped, it has no real value other than to someone that collects counterstamped coins or perhaps to someone from Gettysburg.   There are many counterstamped coins, these are not rare, most were created for a group or event.   I cannot say for certain but I think that NGC would give this a details damaged grade, at any rate it is not worth the cost to submit.

Welcome to the forum

On 2/10/2023 at 3:43 PM, Sandon said:

it would cost you $30 or more in grading and processing fees and shipping costs

A lot more than that for a single coin:

• Shipping to NGC insured: $15 (Roughly)
  • Handling Fee:  $10
  • Grading - Modern:  $19 
  • Return Shipping:  $23

Total Cost:  $67

If you have more than one coin the S&H (which is a big chunk of the cost) can be spread out over several coins to significantly reduce the costs.  Like if you had 4 coins it would be about what you quoted at $30 per coin.

Edited by EagleRJO

Around 1977, someone bought me a set of Lincoln cents where each one had the map of one of the 50 states counter stamped on it.  It came with a cardboard coin board where I (of course) proceeded to tape the coins in the slots to hold it in place.  It was a neat concept but no, not of any value.

I also remember one of my local dealers selling Lincoln cents counter stamped with an image of the Liberty Bell.  Retail was 39c.  I believe the idea was to create a "bicentennial penny".

On 2/11/2023 at 11:18 AM, World Colonial said:

Around 1977, someone bought me a set of Lincoln cents where each one had the map of one of the 50 states counter stamped on it.  It came with a cardboard coin board where I (of course) proceeded to tape the coins in the slots to hold it in place.  It was a neat concept but no, not of any value.

I also remember one of my local dealers selling Lincoln cents counter stamped with an image of the Liberty Bell.  Retail was 39c.  I believe the idea was to create a "bicentennial penny".

Remember the bison named Tennial?

On 2/11/2023 at 11:18 AM, World Colonial said:

As a kid I had gotten one of those Lincoln cent sets with a state map counterstamped on each one and one with the border of the lower 48 on it. Agree, the OP's cent is a counterstamp for a promotion. To the OP, please do not submit this cent to any third party graders and save your cash. You can't find any information on it because it is not a US Mint production cent, and in the coin world, it is considered "damaged" in the same way Trade Dollars are that have chopmarks.

On 2/11/2023 at 12:18 PM, World Colonial said:

I believe the idea was to create a "bicentennial penny".

On 2/11/2023 at 1:03 PM, VKurtB said:

Remember the bison named Tennial?

Bada-Bing Bada Boom!  :banana:  How long were you waiting to slip that one in?

On 2/11/2023 at 6:36 AM, EagleRJO said:

A lot more than that for a single coin:

• Shipping to NGC insured: $15 (Roughly)
  • Handling Fee:  $10
  • Grading - Modern:  $19 
  • Return Shipping:  $23

Total Cost:  $67

If you have more than one coin the S&H (which is a big chunk of the cost) can be spread out over several coins to significantly reduce the costs.  Like if you had 4 coins it would be about what you quoted at $30 per coin.

Last one I had graded costed me close $80 bucks but I got the scratch resistant holder which costed I think $5 extra. I also paid for variety plus though cause it was an 1864 over 1864 overdate variety 2 cent piece. Ive been saving a few back when I get the money Ill do them all at once cause the shipping. I seriously think its worth the extra $5 to get the scratch resistant holders. Seems slabs are very easy to get fine scratches on them.