• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does "Cameo" designation on NGC coins apply to MS-graded coins?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I thought the "Cameo" designation only applies to coins with PF grades?

Here's an example of an MS graded coin with the Cameo designation.  Is this a misprint, or is this possible?

I think it might be possible, since I don't see NGC stating whether the coin needs to be proof to get this strike character designation:

"NGC automatically applies the Cameo and Ultra Cameo designations to qualifying coins at no additional charge. To earn the Cameo or Ultra Cameo designation, the coin must show the contrast between the fields and devices on both sides."

329251468_869786924306767_7976967212217585543_n.jpg

Apparently, NGC also applies this term to coins from 1965-67 Special Mint Sets ("SMS"). A minority of these coins look like full proofs, and some of those have a cameo appearance. Circulation strike coins that have prooflike surfaces are given the designations PL for prooflike and DPL for "deep (mirror) prooflike".  The DPLs may also have a cameo appearance. PCGS terminology and practice may differ.

Welcome , As Lem and Sandon have mentioned there were no proof coins in 65,66 and 67 only regular and SMS coins. Some of the SMS coins were nice enough to get special designations and it looks like you have one.

1965-1967 SMS sets were produced as substitutes for real proof sets. Some of the coins are close to the contemporary quality of proof coins, but because the US Mint was honest about thes pieces NOT being proof, NGC and many others us the "MS" designation for the type of manufacturing.

Edited by RWB

This 1967 coin from the Philippines marking the 25th anniversary of the fall of Bataan to the Japanese during WWII has always been graded as proof-like (PL) but recently, one was graded PLCA.

I couldn’t successfully upload the coin’s pic, but you can view it from one of my registry sets:

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinView.aspx?sc=755076

On 2/10/2023 at 1:00 PM, RWB said:

1965-1967 SMS sets were produced as substitutes for real proof sets. Some of the coins are close to the contemporary quality of proof coins, but because the US Mint was honest about thes pieces NOT being proof, NGC and many others us the "MS" designation for the type of manufacturing.

This is how the 1965,66 and 67 sets were packaged up if you want to try to find them.

3 SMS Sets.jpg

On 2/18/2023 at 7:17 AM, J P M said:

This is how the 1965,66 and 67 sets were packaged up if you want to try to find them.

3 SMS Sets.jpg

The best 1967 set (for cameos) I’ve seen was one I bought over in London. The half has been NGC graded MS67Cameo. Only the dime doesn’t look cameo.