• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a 1958 DDO
1 1

9 posts in this topic

No it is not, I think we will be seeing a lot of 1958 cents on the forum.. One just sold recently at GC for six figures , Some one on the internet posted it as you may have one in change even though that 58 coin has been a well known coin for years.

On 2/9/2023 at 7:32 AM, J P M said:

I think we will be seeing a lot of 1958 cents on the forum.. One just sold recently at GC for six figures

That was from a specific collection, but of course ppl will not pay attention to that.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1272983/1958-Lincoln-Cent-Doubled-Die-Obverse-PCGS-MS-65-RD-CAC-Red-Copper-Collection

Seems like a lot of newer collectors roll hunt for pennies, and I don't know why for the life of me they don't use a quick reference like the attached 11x17 sorting mat.

Cent Roll Hunting Mat 2.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/9/2023 at 6:28 AM, EagleRJO said:

That was from a specific collection, but of course ppl will not pay attention to that.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1272983/1958-Lincoln-Cent-Doubled-Die-Obverse-PCGS-MS-65-RD-CAC-Red-Copper-Collection

Seems like a lot of newer collectors roll hunt for pennies, and I don't know why for the life of me they don't use a quick reference like the attached 11x17 sorting mat.

They search for cents because they are cheap to acquire, and because the you tube sites hype them up.   The op is not a coin collector just one of many get rich quick types that has no interest in learning about coins and only comes here to use the forum not to enrich it.   I have decided this will be the last time I reply to one of his posts as he has no interest in learning and will not use the resources that we all have already given to him.

According to the Deluxe ("Mega") edition of the Redbook, only three examples of the 1958 (FS-101) doubled die obverse cent are known to exist, and none has ever been found in circulation or in uncirculated rolls or bags. Unlike the coin posted by @bobbyboshay, they have bold, crisp doubling on LIBERTY and the motto.  Here is the NGC VarietyPlus photo of one of them.

818837-1.jpg