• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Question - Stains

5 posts in this topic

I have finished reading two books on grading, i.e., "The Art and Science of Grading Coins" by Jason Poe and "The Official ANA Grading Standards for American Coins". I feel I have a very rudimentary understanding of the importance of surface quality, luster, strike, wear, contact marks, eye appeal, and toning. However, I could not find much information in either book about the effect stains have on a coin's grading, other than it will negatively affect their grades.

As an example, I have attached several photos of a 2012-D Roosevelt dime with several stains on the reservse. My question is how much (or how many grades) will this staining affect the coin's  grade?2023_0207_082634_011.thumb.JPG.57075213d7f076a8580148af4fcc689d.JPG2023_0207_082602_009.thumb.JPG.3f0cd62d3093b21da47549e2bac0d9f8.JPG

2023_0207_082619_010.JPG

Edited by Seamus8
eliminate redundant photo

On 2/7/2023 at 10:53 AM, Seamus8 said:

I have finished reading two books on grading, i.e., "The Art and Science of Grading Coins" by Jason Poe and "The Official ANA Grading Standards for American Coins". I feel I have a very rudimentary understanding of the importance of surface quality, luster, strike, wear, contact marks, eye appeal, and toning. However, I could not find much information in either book about the effect stains have on a coin's grading, other than it will negatively affect their grades.

As an example, I have attached several photos of a 2012-D Roosevelt dime with several stains on the reservse. My question is how much (or how many grades) will this staining affect the coin's  grade?2023_0207_082634_011.thumb.JPG.57075213d7f076a8580148af4fcc689d.JPG2023_0207_082602_009.thumb.JPG.3f0cd62d3093b21da47549e2bac0d9f8.JPG

2023_0207_082619_010.JPG

It strongly depends on what is causing the stains. If it is organic material, often it can be removed by a bath in acetone. If it is another chemical, things could get dicey. It may be corrosion, which will usually prevent ANY grade. Grading is a game for problem-free coins, primarily. 

Good questions, Seamus....and BTW, Welcome !! (thumbsu

Stains definitely detract from a coin's grade.  How much, I'll let the experts chime in.  It depends on the rest of the coin and how noticeable the "stain" is.   Numerically, I would expect something like on your dime to maybe cost the coin 2-4 points on a grade, assuming it doesn't grade Details or move it from MS to AU or AU to XF.

Also...is it a naturally-occuring thing like a copper spot ?  Or is it man-made ?  Big and noticeable in a prime area of the coin...or small and out-of-the-way in a corner of the coin not as prominent ?

I believe those are all important.  The guys/gals with more experience than me should have the final say.

There is no "rule" or set in stone deduction for any distraction on a coin.   This falls into the eye appeal part of commercial grading and is highly subjective, the same issue or coin could receive a different deduction on any given day depending on who is doing the grading and how much that individual feels the eye appeal is impacted.   Age of the coin will also play a factor, coins from the 18th century are often graded slightly less harshly for some issues over say a modern coin like the one you posted in the op.   I would think your coin would receive a details grade if submitted in that condition.   Also if the graders at the TPG thought the coin could be helped through conservation they may recommend that service.

I would also note that in the early days of coin grading it was more about grading the preservation of the coin, as described in the books you mentioned.  Under todays market/commercial grading the TPG's do include (and often give great weight to) eye appeal, that is why you have found little in those books covering this aspect.

Edited by Coinbuf

Stains, tarnish and so forth are not a typical part of a coin's level of abrasion, but they should always be mentioned when buying or selling since most of these things are distracting and lower the desirability of a coin. NO COIN GRADER can presume how such things affect specific buyers/sellers and they should not be part of a grade unless they have caused damage to the surface. Then, the coin is "damaged." and should not be given a grade.