• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New World Pirate ERA Spanish Bronze 1400-1600 AD
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Here's this one, it has markings. Thought this one is really cool. So how are these found. I heard people find these when washed up on shore from storm's, or people go ocean diving looking for old ship wrecked in the bottom of water. Interesting. 

20230205_045850.jpg

20230205_045901.jpg

There's a small but steady stream of cob era coins that wash up or show up somehow on the beaches of northwestern Oregon. The mouth of the Columbia was and is treacherous and quite a few ships were wrecked in the vicinity. The remains of one are still on the beach, though it came long after the cob era (late 1800s). There's even a coin shop in Cannon Beach selling grossly overpriced, heavily shined shipwreck/salvage coins.

I can't identify it, but I doubt it's a "new world" bronze coin.  To my recollection, a low number were struck in Mexico, Panama, and the Dominican Republic but I might be adding one where it's actually silver.  The ones from Panama and DR are very rare.  Mexico not common but not expensive.  These coins were struck in the early years after Spanish colonization, in the 1530's to slightly later.  There isn't one from the 1400's.