• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this considered to be doubling?? 1903 Morgan Silver dollar no mint mark.

8 posts in this topic

Okay ,  should I get it graded ? Or ?? Should I  Just put it up for safe keeping and hang on to it for x amount of years and try to sell it one day .   I’m not a coin collector , I’d say that I’m more of a coin hunter .  I’ll hunt for what could be worth a good sell if that makes sense 🤷‍♂️.   What would you do with it ? 

People really can't give you opinions without clear pics of both coin sides.  However, in general your 1903 (P) Morgan is not scarce and is not very valuable, even with some doubling, unless it's a very high grade which is not likely.

So it's probably not worth having it graded unless pics show something exceptional.  And as far as what you should do with it that's really your call.

NGC Coin Explorer 1903 Morgan Dollar

Btw, welcome!

ForumWelcome.png

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/3/2023 at 5:55 AM, Mikeemil228 said:

Okay ,  should I get it graded ? Or ?? Should I  Just put it up for safe keeping and hang on to it for x amount of years and try to sell it one day .   I’m not a coin collector , I’d say that I’m more of a coin hunter .  I’ll hunt for what could be worth a good sell if that makes sense 🤷‍♂️.   What would you do with it ? 

First nice catch!   Second Morgan dollars, even doubling like this, are called "Vams".   I have included a link to a site called Vam World, there you can see all the vams for each year listed with photos and pups (pick up points).   The vams are listed out by year but also by top 100, hot 50 and a few other ways to help identify those that may be worth a premium, I did not attempt to identify your coin from the list but did not see any 1903-P's in the top 100 or top 50.

Vanworld

Before you send in any coin that you want certified with an error or variety you need to check NGC's list of what they will certify.   Because there are vams for every year NGC does not consider each and every vam as significant enough to be worth verifying.   So always check the list of vams and varieties before you spend money on something that NGC will not do.   Here is a link to NGC's variety list.

Variety plus

And lastly, without photos of the full obv and rev of the coin it is impossible to get any sense of what or how your coin might grade.   That is very important in being able to reply to your question on if we would or think you should have it graded.

Welcome to the forum.

VAMWorld shows a number of 1903 varieties that have "doubled reverse lettering", but your photo doesn't include the areas of the coin containing the die markers for these varieties. I suggest you go to 1903-P VAMs - VAMWorld and compare your coin to these varieties.  Frankly, I'm not sure that your coin is a doubled die, as much of the doubling appears at two different levels or "shelf-like", indicating common strike doubling.

NGC VarietyPlus doesn't include any 1903 varieties, so NGC probably wouldn't attribute this coin.  If you can identity the VAM or believe it's a doubled die and want it certified, you could try ANACS (anacs.com).

On 2/3/2023 at 11:03 AM, Sandon said:

Frankly, I'm not sure that your coin is a doubled die, as much of the doubling appears at two different levels or "shelf-like", indicating common strike doubling.

I was going to suggest the same with possible shelf doubling, but it really didn't matter for a 1903 (P).  Out of curiosity maybe the OP could compare the coin in-hand with the attached.

902155493_CoinErrors-DoubledDievsMachineDoublingDiagram.jpeg.89ebdb921878a706539381cedaabb2d7.jpeg.jpg