• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what currently is your all time favorite coin in your collection?

31 posts in this topic

Michael,

I agree with EVP it is hard to choose. But I would have to say that my current all time favorite coin in my collection is a NGC MS-65 Missouri silver commemorative that I recently bought. It is blast white with great luster and has one of the strongest strikes I have ever seen on a Missouri!

The Missouri issue is also one of my favorite early silver commemoratives.

Unfortunately, I do not have a photo of it yet because when I bought it there were some scratches on the holder and the dealer offered to send it back to NGC to be reholdered for me. As soon as I receive it back I will post a photo of the coin in my registry set.

John

wow great responses! also evp you hit the nail on the head!

but i can tell you steve

if my adopted son ever came back and we could see each other on a regular basis

and maybe we could do something like a karate business he would like to do as he is a black belt

and i could handle the business side

if i had to make a choice between him and the coin thing coins would lose out! unfortunately this for the most part will never happen but i guess miracles sometimes do happen

i guess only time will tell!

and also guys that 1810 half dollar is a totally undipped original coin with great toning and that missouri .....wow

the gold indian and the gold $ are really great!

wow keep up the good work

all this positive energy i hope it will spread!

sincerely michael

I said it before KK, you did very well on that eagle, a true beauty no matter what the number says on the holder!

I'd say my 1849/6 half dime in a pcgs ms/63 holder with attractive rose and blue rim toning. PCGS can call it whatever they want, the coin is a 64, and there aren't a whole heck of a lot of them slabbed that nice, and mine is pretty, to boot. Let me think about it for a couple of days......I'll change my mind. smile.gif

Come on Roy, share it! We don't mind a little mixing of light and darkside if it's a favorite, just don't try to convert anyone! grin.gif

PS-How do you date Japanese coins? Must not be very good with conversation! tongue.gif

wow all great coins thanks guys wild!!!!!!

poat the dark side coins it is all about nice coins in your collection!!!!!!!!

yes yes also i hafe many one mon japenese coins from before 1600 i want indentiied a missionary brought back to me that the priestsd friends served there at the tunr of the century also china but i do not have a scanner to show you

sincerely michael

This is a very difficult question to answer!

My current favorite is an 1805 Overton 107 half dollar PCGS AU50. This is the "small 5" variety, which Walter Breen speculated that a quarter "5" punch was mistakenly used on the obverse. A large cent punch might have been used, in my opinion. This coin was previously in the collection of Douglas Noblet, I contacted Mr. Noblet, he obtained the coin in 1995 through a Boston dealer that I am trying to locate.

This is the finest known 1805 O-107, validated through my contacts at the JRCS and BHNC. There are perhaps only five that exist in XF and above, this is the only one in AU. It has semi-proof like surfaces that indicate a very early die state, and is in an early PCGS holder. Currently listed as an R.4, I believe this variety is an R.5 as they are offered about once a year at auctions.

I do not yet have the equipment to post a picture of the coin, but you can see it at as lot 303 of the January, 2003 Bowers and Merena Rarities auction, in the B&M archives.