• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bankers Marks on Roman/Ancient Coins

5 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone had info on the different "marks" themselves. Who made them exactly and/or if different marks meant different things, etc...

For instance in pic below, what I thought was an earring(Haha), looks like a Q? I think one of the more known "bankers" (called something else during Roman times ) was named Quintus? 

Anyways, I'm not trying to debate the marks effect on coin valuation/devaluation but trying to find the owners/info of such marks. 

EDIT: Would the person who made this coin make such a mark? In this case Q. Sicinius? I dunno why they would but the Q's look very similar (as far as individual style goes)

20230128_102607.thumb.jpg.7bdf5a43695a43d9b9c54946df45be28.jpg

Edited by blazeaglory

Looks like a countermark of some kind or just post mint damage to me. 

I've never heard of countermarks on ancient coinage but doesn't mean there aren't any.  Unless it's a known one, have no idea how to identify when it might have occurred either.

Not my area of collecting.

You should post your question on a coin forum with more ancient coin collectors.  I don't post there but Coin Talk is a lot more active, with a lot of ancient collectors too.  Someone might be able to answer your question there.

I'm an ancients collector, but I have not run into countermarks of this sort in Roman or Greek coinage. Obviously NGC believes they exist. I see them a lot on Timurid tankas, and a number of overstrikes in the Byz world where one can sometimes identify the host coin (sometimes not). I do not think there is any way to tell whether this countermark occurred in antiquity or at some other point in the last couple of millennia. There are punchmarked Mauryan coins (and man, are those a pain in the nalgas to attribute), but in those cases the totality of the devices comprises all the countermarks, and they have nothing to do with Mediterranean coinage.