• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021-P Washington Crossing the Delaware die cud on his ponytail
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Also, from what I've seen lately, the nest in his hat, unless EXTREMELY large, are not getting much of a premium either. Something to keep in mind with regard to things like the 'birdsnest', 'beehive', whatever you want to call it, is that when they are 1st found everybody wants in on that bandwagon and the value skyrockets. However, much like the 'extra cacti' of the Arizona Quarters, when they keep being found and keep being found and keep and keep and keep being found, the value plummets to nothing because they become common place and thise who spent $500 on one feel like fools and can't offload them even for what they gave for it.  There are just too many of them to be worth anything. They just are not rare anymore. See? Does that make any sense the way I've put it? 

On 1/24/2023 at 5:41 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Also, from what I've seen lately, the nest in his hat, unless EXTREMELY large, are not getting much of a premium either. Something to keep in mind with regard to things like the 'birdsnest', 'beehive', whatever you want to call it, is that when they are 1st found everybody wants in on that bandwagon and the value skyrockets. However, much like the 'extra cacti' of the Arizona Quarters, when they keep being found and keep being found and keep and keep and keep being found, the value plummets to nothing because they become common place and thise who spent $500 on one feel like fools and can't offload them even for what they gave for it.  There are just too many of them to be worth anything. They just are not rare anymore. See? Does that make any sense the way I've put it? 

Yes Karen, they are worth .25 cents I have at least a roll of all the 2021 CTD variations . It got to the point roll hunting of not even keeping them, just to many. same with the park quarters. Chips Ahoy

Karen has come a long way with these relatively minor errors. She used to be really into them but now she’s become a candidate for the VKurtB Cynicism Award for Miscellaneous Minor Varieties. That exhibits real growth, you know? These things are a brilliant example of supply and demand. Every beginner is out there scouring rolls of coins for these things and literally NOBODY is buying them. So demand is nada and supply keeps expanding. Guess what Econ 101 tells us then. Yup, they’re next to valueless. But still the beginners keep coming and coming for each new “discovery”. It makes no sense. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 1/24/2023 at 5:41 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Amen!

@J P M Yup. That's all I was saying. Of course I have yet to find one but I haven't even seen any of the W Quarter's, so...

@VKurtBWow, Sir. I am so flattered by what you said about me. And flattery will indeed take you a long way. But yeah, that's what it's all about. Best to set back and wait and see what's still to come. People were/are spending stupid amounts of money for Coins that are worth face value a month later. 

I had managed to somehow accept a mod position in a fairly new FB Group(yes, I'm aware if what a terrible idea THAT was) and would delete posts that were by basically thieves trying to take advantage of thise who knew no better. I was called every me you can think of, but at the end of the day I was there buying up garbages at one point too and when time came that I needed to cash out, there wasn't a whole darn lot to cash in. So I just look out for all the Newbs now. They can listen or not. The ones that do come back and thank me. Sooo...

Love you guys. Gotta get back to my eBay stuff. TTFN

As @Greenstang stated, I would put cuds, die chips and die cracks in the "die state" category - not errors at all.  Terminology aside, these are very common and I completely agree that "mania" comes from overhyping new die state finds, and they crash and burn financially once the collector base realizes just how common they are.

If you find one and want to keep an example for your education, awesome.  But, I would not recommend buying them, and would not expect you to make a profit in collecting/selling them. 

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

USUALLY (not always) when we run into die cracks, die chips, and other die anomalies, they occur due to a physical reason, and are not random. That means that they will likely CONTINUE to happen through that coin’s striking run. Now in this case, we have a literal one year design. The reverse is obviously so, but the obverse, IN THIS PRECISE VERSION, is also unique. It bears a strong resemblance to one ended in 1991, but the relief is different. 

Just an aside, the law that created the Washington Crossing quarter IS the law that created the America the Beautiful quarters. In my opinion, that means it belongs in the same album as the ATB quarters. The Women quarters are a new series, not the Washington Crossing. 

On 1/26/2023 at 3:50 PM, VKurtB said:

USUALLY (not always) when we run into die cracks, die chips, and other die anomalies, they occur due to a physical reason, and are not random. That means that they will likely CONTINUE to happen through that coin’s striking run. Now in this case, we have a literal one year design. The reverse is obviously so, but the obverse, IN THIS PRECISE VERSION, is also unique. It bears a strong resemblance to one ended in 1991, but the relief is different. 

Just an aside, the law that created the Washington Crossing quarter IS the law that created the America the Beautiful quarters. In my opinion, that means it belongs in the same album as the ATB quarters. The Women quarters are a new series, not the Washington Crossing. 

Yes my ATB quarter book has space at the end for the WCD quarters 

20210605_191838.jpg

20210809_104601.jpg

On 1/26/2023 at 5:17 PM, J P M said:

Yes my ATB quarter book has space at the end for the WCD quarters 

20210605_191838.jpg

20210809_104601.jpg

Very cool. And legally correct. Most people are unaware that the ATB law had a section on what can come after it was finished, and due to the inaction of both the Treasury Secretary AND the Congress, the Washington Crossing quarter was the only legal option remaining. 

Edited by VKurtB