• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Grandaddy of all scams! Beware!
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Came across an email from this site. Sure 28 NGC or PCGS ms66 Morgan dollars for 44.95! HA HA HA

THEY EVEN GO SO FAR AS TO DISPLAY VALID NGC GRADED COINS THAT VERIFY ON THE REGISTRY.

supposedly sold 2,700 already,  all four US mints  Lol. 
i am truly amazed that scams like this are even legal.

https://barskilz.com/products/Set

E028D9B9-A3ED-403D-BB7C-B6487C185115.jpeg

Let’s all take a moment, pour ourselves a libation, take a seat at a table with nothing to distract us, and think for about 5 minutes why there are so many of these types of scams. Do you think maybe that coin people are believed to be easy marks, or especially stupid? Could that be it? Are we doing anything to spread that belief among scammers? Really think hard. I kind of think we do. We’re really suckers for FOMO. Suckers for “you wouldn’t believe the deal I saw”, too. “The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in our stars, but in ourselves.” We have got to get better at not being idiotic. Just since I’ve been an adult, our country has descended into abject stupidity. And there are entire major fields of study at universities that take advantage of American stupidity. Take “Sports Marketing” for just one example. 

Edited by VKurtB

No VkurtB I don’t think as a rule most numismatists are gullible at all. They are the most skeptical . However there is a scam a minute and somebody is proliferating it, China, the Russians, North Korea, the mob, IDK but there isn’t a day that goes by without seeing some sort of ridiculous SUPER,Fanastic, outstanding deal that is too good to be true. Today I saw  a DeWalt drill set for $2.99 and a Milwaukee tool set free! Yes I have fallen for a few in my time, but the best advice I have ever received is “If it is too good to be true, IT IS.

On 1/25/2023 at 2:22 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

No VkurtB I don’t think as a rule most numismatists are gullible at all. They are the most skeptical . However there is a scam a minute and somebody is proliferating it, China, the Russians, North Korea, the mob, IDK but there isn’t a day that goes by without seeing some sort of ridiculous SUPER,Fanastic, outstanding deal that is too good to be true. Today I saw  a DeWalt drill set for $2.99 and a Milwaukee tool set free! Yes I have fallen for a few in my time, but the best advice I have ever received is “If it is too good to be true, IT IS.

They don’t keep doing these because they don’t get results. 

I don't think that these types of outfits are out to scam the seasoned numismatists.  I think these are to scam the casual collector, the newbie, the elderly person who wants to leave a "legacy" for their grandkids and the like.  For every person who is (or is working to be) a true, educated numismatist there are thousands of casual collectors, gift givers, or elderly infomercial buyers who would fall for this.  

This advertisement crossed-over into scamsville when they showed NGC slabs.  However, plenty of coin companies make their bread and butter over charging exorbitant prices for relatively common coins - Danburry, Littleton Coin Company, HSN, etc (and I am not even mentioning the Etsy, AliExpress, EBid and the counterfeit sellers).  All of these overcharge in the same way with fancy boxes and worn/common coins.

Numismatic education pays the greatest dividends in this hobby.  This is just one more example that proves the point.

On 1/25/2023 at 3:06 PM, VKurtB said:

Do you think maybe that coin people are believed to be easy marks, or especially stupid?

I firmly believe that these types of sales pitches are geared to those who know collectors.  Those unknowing and unwillingly fall prey to the unscrupulous.   thinking that they will get an awsome gift for their numismatic loved one and end up Tgetting scammed.  :(  Thes are right along the lines of Mike the Huckster over at HSN, or those Silver Towne guys.  If you don't buy it now there wont be another opportunity!!!  very low mintage...  they only made ne for you!!!

On 1/25/2023 at 5:16 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I don't think that these types of outfits are out to scam the seasoned numismatists.  I think these are to scam the casual collector, the newbie, the elderly person who wants to leave a "legacy" for their grandkids and the like.  For every person who is (or is working to be) a true, educated numismatist there are thousands of casual collectors, gift givers, or elderly infomercial buyers who would fall for this.  

This advertisement crossed-over into scamsville when they showed NGC slabs.  However, plenty of coin companies make their bread and butter over charging exorbitant prices for relatively common coins - Danburry, Littleton Coin Company, HSN, etc (and I am not even mentioning the Etsy, AliExpress, EBid and the counterfeit sellers).  All of these overcharge in the same way with fancy boxes and worn/common coins.

Numismatic education pays the greatest dividends in this hobby.  This is just one more example that proves the point.

Thank you for this information. I have been reading so much and pretty shocked at what goes on. I am in a phase through a class where they are showing counterfeit coins and I would never be able to tell. Then the slabs on Ebay with 3rd party Titles have been spoke about as well. I am getting a few coins but most I have had since a child my mother collected for me. I go through everyone's change just trying to learn something and find something new. It surely is a great hobby I wished I would have taken up at a young age.

Your never to old to start! Take my word for it!

On 1/26/2023 at 1:40 PM, lcourtney123 said:

Thank you for this information. I have been reading so much and pretty shocked at what goes on. I am in a phase through a class where they are showing counterfeit coins and I would never be able to tell. Then the slabs on Ebay with 3rd party Titles have been spoke about as well. I am getting a few coins but most I have had since a child my mother collected for me. I go through everyone's change just trying to learn something and find something new. It surely is a great hobby I wished I would have taken up at a young age.

On 1/26/2023 at 1:00 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Your never to old to start! Take my word for it!

Yup. Be quick to study and slow to buy. This hobby is loaded to the gills with some of the most highly talented con men you will ever encounter. And some are even regulars on coin discussion forums (not this one, of course.) Oh, and beware of “professionals”. If someone truly earns their living in coins, there are really only three ways - 1) selling at ridiculously high prices, 2) buying at ridiculously low prices, or 3) incredible volume. Most try for a smidgeon of all three. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 1/26/2023 at 1:40 PM, lcourtney123 said:

If you're not sure, WAIT !!  Ask here....make sure you buy from a reputable source, especially if online.

Better to pay a bit more and BE SURE than try and save a few $$$ and get burned with a counterfeit or fake. (thumbsu